acer aspire one 722 no bootable disk

jenlineham
jenlineham Member Posts: 10 New User

can anyone help a rather inexperienced user with this problem?

Best Answer

• jenlineham
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your time and interest. I will try out your suggestions tomorrow when I get an opportunity and report back to you. Bye for now.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

first thing to check on BIOS, is if HDD is listed on SATA devices or under bootable list, check also if it's set as first bootable device.

press F2 at boot and check it, once done press F10, save and exit.

please report installed OS too.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jenlineham

Thank you for responding.

The HDDO is set as No 1 priority in Boot and the D2D Recovery is enabled.

I have tried removing and replacing the battery and also the Hard Drive to no avail.

• jenlineham

Sorry, forgot to say OS is Win 7

• IronFly

without starting the whole process, but if you press ALT+F10 at boot, Acer erecovery starts?

• jenlineham
    Spoiler

No..... same dull click heard - followed by same error message "No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key".

• IronFly

ok, let's try a last thing before giving the last rites to HDD.

create a bootable USB  from Hiren's boot cd .iso
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to USB pen/external HDD  

you can use rufus to burn it http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    once done, put the USB on your PC, boot from USB 
    press F12 at boot and choose USB
    choose mini-xp from the options, once in the desktop, try to check your HDD if is accessible and copy your personal data to the USB flash drive.

if the HDD is accesible, so it's still alive and we must find a way to repair MBR.

• jenlineham
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your time and interest. I will try out your suggestions tomorrow when I get an opportunity and report back to you. Bye for now.

• jenlineham

Disaster!

I have spent the last 4 days trying to clean up after following your instructions. The 'hirensbootcd' freeware carried so many adware/malware/virus programs it really made a mess of my main laptop.

I think I have found and deleted most, but DREGOL is proving impossible to shift and I don't know where to turn for help.

I have already tried Microsoft Safety Scanner and Vipre Rescue in addition to my antivirus program.

Of course the original problem remains with my notebook but this has become a minor problem now.

• IronFly

sorry but probably is your antivirus giving many fake alerts for other reasons, since the file is a simple .zip with a single .iso file, can't have that kind of things.

Hiren's is used from years without any issues and i always double check about malaware or viruses.

have you downloaded the correct file?

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip

and used Rufus to make an USB bootable device?

• jenlineham

Went to the hirensbootcd/download website you gave and download the zip file. I have since deleted it. 

Can you help me get rid of Dregol? My internet browsing is compromised and I am getting very anxious.

• jenlineham

Many thanks for staying with me on this.

The link you gave to Malwarebytes was terrific and I now have a 'clean machine'.

I will try again with the original problem in the next couple of days and make sure I get the correct download file.

• jenlineham

I got the correct .iso file this time, booted mini-xp but could not find any trace of HDD.

The drives listed were: (BSmiley Happy RamDrive, (CSmiley HappyHBCD.15_2, (dSmiley Happy Removable Disk, (XSmiley Happy MiniXp.

Does this mean the hard drive cannot be salvaged?

• IronFly

This means that HDD is dead.

• jenlineham

Many thanks for your time and help.

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy