acer aspire XC 705, ssd disk error running Windows 10

Options
Bjarne123
Bjarne123 Member Posts: 4 New User

Acer aspire xc-705, upgraded from windows 8.1. to windows 10, and switched disk to SSD, having a lot of errors eventid 154. 

There is no problem running windows 8.1,  ssd have been used for 1 year in another PC.

Then i tried once more, I cloned the original disk, and restored to factory settings, upgraded to windows 10, and hereafter I reduced the size of partions, so I could clone the disk to the ssd disc.

Still disc errors, when I put the ssd disc in a external usb 3.0 disc bay, no errors, I use HD Tune pro for testing, when I put the disc back in the Acer, it gives errors, tried a smaller ssd disc, same problem, tried new cables, another sata port, same problem.

There is no errors with the build in disc  (western digital ), the ssd disc is a Intel SSD 520 series 180 GB.

Any idears, I am completly lost now.

Regards Bjarne

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Bjarne123
    Options

hey, I installed Intel toolbox vers 3.3.3, and it said that firmware was ok.

I tried to install Intels Driver update to se if I need updated drivers, but It could not detect any Intel Drivers, strange, I cant figure what the problem is.

I schrinked the original WD disk, and copied it to the ssd disk, Its running ok now, but the OS is windows 8.1,

maybe I try to upgrade  to windows 10, next week.

have a nice weekend

regards Bjarne

• Bjarne123
    Options

hmm, I overlooked something important, I now have events in windows, telling me eventid 153 writing to disc retried.

So I have errors running windows 8.1 ( eventid 153 ) and another error running windows 10 ( eventid 514 ).

I have updated bios to  P11-B4.4m.

I have tried all 3 sata ports on motherboard.

As far as I can see, there is only 1 solution, I must buy a pcie sata controller, and put that in the free slot, and the use that for the ssd disk, or use the build in hard disc.

Because I guess my warranty is gone with the wind.

but I still want to get inputs from you forum members, if you have any idears.

Regards Bjarne

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Here is just a IDEA??

I know that you were 8.1 went to 10 and said it ran in 8.1 fine. Just wonder I know that it is loads of installing and reinstalling software. But have you tried to do a Clean install of Win 10 on your SSD? if you have a back up to your apps and what not. I would try and do a Clean install of 10. DL from Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 64bit burn it to a DVD and see if the same errors are present... 

Few months ago talking with a MS Software tech about cloning drives, He told me that there have been loads of issues with Cloned drives and they feel a Clean install is best! I just thought if I was in your shoes (System) I would try and see if the clean install gives me different results. 

James

• Bjarne123
    Options

hii all, after a litte more study, I found out how to make a clean installtion on ssd with windows 10.

I made a installation with microsoft mediacreationtool on a usb stick.

some days ago, i had already tried to upgrade win8.1 to windows 10 and activated that.

So when i installed a fresh copy on the ssd disk, it came out that windows 10, was allready activated.

I had of course written down the windows 10 key ( just in case ), used a program from Nirsoft to read the key,

pretty nice software.

But it have not changed the situation, I still have event error 154.

a entry from the event log

"IO-handlingen ved den logiske blokadresse 0x8f99d7 for Disk 0 (PDO-navn: \Device\0000002c) mislykkedes på grund af en hardwarefejl."

Sorry it danish language.

So I think the conclusion is, Motherboard must be defective.

Regards Bjarne