XC-605 graphics card update

Options
matbl
matbl Member Posts: 8 New User

I thought I would put this here since I've seen a lot of similar questions.

I recently upgraded the graphics card in my XC-605.

To do so you need to find a card that fulfils the following:

The card must be a low profile card.

The card must be for one slot only. Even one slot cards with big heat sinks or fans is impossible to fit since the PCI Express x16 slot is next to the top of the chassis. So 1 slot width for full length of card only.

Max length is 17 cm (measure first to be sure).

You may have to remove the connection for the front audio ports since the header is directly at the x16 slot.

The power supply is usually 220W so no fancy cards.

I ended up with a NVIDIA GT740 based (not 740m) from PNY. Couldn't find any better card that would fit. Even though it was stated to require a 400W PSU, it runs fine so far on the current 220W PSU.

This worked for me. I take no responsibility that it will work for anyone else. Open and measure first.

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Awesome and thank you for sharing your story with the others of this Community and others that may want to do such an upgrade.... Here is a couple of things that may make it better for others in the choice to upgrade is maybe do a Screen shot of Speccy. You can DL free from the web. It has been a while since I DL it but I think there maybe something that they offer you to install along with it. Just say no. I have many programs so I can't remember if that is the one or not. Anyway run the program and it will load with the Summary View. Shows Operating System, CPU, Ram, Motherboard, Graphics and so on. If you take a Screen shot of that and leave it here then others can see the system. I will leave a Screen shot here of one of my test computers,,,,, It is Running the GTX 650 as an Example. This picture is of a Asus MB and not an Acer but does show an example of what I am asking you to show for others with your Computer type. If they want to make the Upgrade in like kind...

James

Screenshot (20).png