XC-605 GB ethernet adapter only running at 10mbps

Options
bjelliott999
bjelliott999 Member Posts: 5 New User

XC-605 GB ethernet adapter only running at 10mbps. 

Checked settings all seem correct, cable also tested OK.

Has this been obsevered before? BIOS update required?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

cable tested....tried with another PC?

cat5e is the minimum requirement to have giga connection.

i would also uninstall the driver and instal the newest from Realtek website:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • bjelliott999
    Options

Windows update indicated that the realtek driver was the current one, but i'll try the one from the Realtek site also.

Cable tested fine and another PC on that drop connects @ GB.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

You'd be amazed that sometimes you can fix that issue by trying a different port on your router or switch. 

Another potential solution is to power all of your network devices and computers completely off (and unplug everything for 30 seconds).

• bjelliott999
    Options

Thanks, first things i tried. no effect.

I thought a port on the router might be the issue so I switched to an open one.

Also tried installing a switch between the router and the PC, again no effect.

Still only connecting at 10MB.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  I should probably ask....to prevent confusion...and make sure we're on the same page.

When you say 10 MB/s (10 MegaBytes/second), do you mean 10 Mbps (10 Megabits/second)?

And you're talking about link speed? 

• bjelliott999
    Options

Sorry typo....10Mb.(mbits)...referring to the connection speed of the adapter.

• JordanB
    Options

Hmm. Ok a few more questions.

Is your ethernet CAT5? CAT5E? CAT6? CAT6A? CAT6E?  It should be written on the cable.

Did you run the ethernet cables?  Or was it done professionally?

It is strange that you would have it happen on both the router and switch.

I guess I would get a third opinion if I were in your shoes and run over to my neighbors with the desktop and see what you get on his router or switch.

Also, what driver are you using?  The one from Acer downloads or directly from component manufacturer?

And lastly, I never assume hardware problem until after I've reset the computer to factory condition.  (of course you'd want to backup all your files first).  If you still have the problem after a computer factory reset with both your router and switch and the neighbors/friends router/switch, then I'd start to get worried about hardware.

Edit: If you're comfortable doing a BIOS update, then I'd say go for it.  The Acer download site has been down, so I don't know if you can get your BIOS.

• bjelliott999
    Options

Cat5e and Cat6, Professionally. Again, Cable tested fine and another PC on that drop connects @ Gb.

Trying on another network will be next step also.

Driver preinstalled, Windows update states current. Will be trying driver downloaded via Realtek.

Agreed, may also install another PCIe nic if above steps prove ineffective.

Already download BIOS update a while back anticipating having to do this.

• JordanB
    Options
    Ok. I did think of one more thing that you probably already tried. These newer computers are basically always on....even when you power them down. You don't really get a cold boot unless you power it down AND unplug the computer's power cable for at least 30 seconds.