XC-603 Memory Upgrade won't Post

spacebiscuit
spacebiscuit Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi,

I purchased some memory for my XC-603 today:

https://www.cclonline.com/product/108577/PSD38G16002S/Laptop-Memory/Patriot-DDR3-8GB-SODIMM/RAM0915/

Previously I had this 4gb memory:

http://www.electrobyt.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6885#.WDxLwTZ77cc

My machine won't post though, the spec of the the two dimm's look to be very similar. Is there any reason that the new 8gb dimm isn't compatiable with this machine?

Regards,

bob.

Answers

• Hello,

1. Your desktop only supports 4Gb DDR3L (1.35V) per slot. The Patriot memory module is 8Gb DDR3 (1.5V).
    2. Acer specifications: It supports up to 8Gb - DDR3L - 1333MHz (2x4Gb). Each slot supports up to 4Gb.
    3. Compatible memory module: Kingston
    France
  • spacebiscuit

Thanks you or the reply - my mainboard only has a single slot. How can I add 2 x 4gb modules?

• You're welcome.

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • spacebiscuit

Sure: DTSULEK004

• Thanks. Does your motherboard look like this?

France
  • spacebiscuit

It does yes...

• So you have two memory slots in L.

France
  • spacebiscuit

Thanks - didn't realise that was another memory slot!

I tried 2 other DIMMS from a laptop (1gb and 2gb) and these also won't post. Probably because of the voltage? I would have thought that is the board requires 1.36v memory then a 1.5v module would be backward compatiable?

So I should ensure that the memory is 1.35v when looking for modules?

Thanks.

• Hello,

1. I didn't realise that was another memory slot!
      It's a common question from the owners of this model.Smiley Happy
    2. I would have thought that is the board requires 1.36v memory then a 1.5v module would be backward compatiable?
      No, it's the opposite: DDR3 only works under 1.5V and DDR3L works under 1.35 and 1.5V. DDR3L is backward compatible with DDR3.
    3. So I should ensure that the memory is 1.35v when looking for modules?
      Yes DDR3L exactly . I already gave you the link of Kingston memory.

For information, the processor is an Intel Celeron J1900. Here are its specifications:
      http://ark.intel.com/products/78867/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J1900-2M-Cache-up-to-2_42-GHz
    France
  • wl_9
    wl_9 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,
    I purchased a 4gb ddr3 sodimm to upgrade the memory to 6gb, after turning on, windows reboots in automatic repair loop
    I changed the 4gb ram to the original dimm 1 slot and it boots normally
    When switched slots, it doesn't work. Is there a problem with dimm 2 slot or the ram configuration?
    Thanks
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hi wl-9,

Could you give me the brands and part numbers of the two memory modules (original and new)?

France