Windows 10: unequal black edges on lap top monitor

Options
pintree3
pintree3 Member Posts: 11 New User

Though my 'Acer Aspire E1-532P' is about a year old I have hardly ever used it (I will now). Hence why I can not tell for sure if the current problem also existed when it had Windows 8.1 installed and now it has Windows 10.

I am wondering how much of the sides is supposed to be black, if at all. I know something is wrong because none of the 4 sides have equal black space on its edges,

The top has about 1/8 cm, The bottom about 1cm, the left about 1/2cm and the right slightly more than the left. The Intel Monitor software has nothing to fix such a thing and I can't see anything else similar anywhere either. The resolution is set to its default so I have no clue as to how to fix this problem and to what degree it is a problem.

Thank you

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

are you able to take a picture and post it here?

screen.jpg

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • pintree3
    Options

Hi and thanks IronFly. I assume by ''take a picture'' you do not mean a screen image, (as in using the WIndows Snipping Tool for ex.) since this would not include the black area but rather that you want me to use a camera and shoot the monitor.

The problem, as you can see, is that the Acer is black; so black on black is not exactly easy to see. In this case the bottom right corner is your best bet.Acer.jpg

We also have a problem of camera angle. I will take another photo during the day so we can get better contrast from the above and will aim for a more accurate angle as well.

• IronFly
    Options

Good, yes i meant a picture not screenshot. Smiley Happy

so the external part is the LCD frame (the plastic frame with Acer logo) and it has a different size since the bottom of the frame contains the hinges and it's an area that need extra care for LCD open/close movement.

the other black area with icons, is the new windows 10 bar; you can change the color:

right click in the desktop and choose personalize

on the right side click on Colors

then you can choose the color that better suite your taste.

• pintree3
    Options

Hi you will now see a better image: A,B,C and D are all in red. these are the areas of the screen, as in the area of Windows. The yellow markers are the actual plastic frame of the laptop. Quite visible if you enlarge the image, is the all 4 sides of the screen (marked red) are not in any way equal to each other. there are no 2 equal sides at all.

So if I understood you correctly you are saying that some of this black screen space is normal for Windows 8 or 10 touch screens. Ok, thanks for this info. Now I know. BUT if I may. shouldn't the black spaces be equal?  or at least  an equal given space on the sides and another equal different given space up and down?

Thanks again

Acerlaptop.jpg

A and B are on the top right corner. C bottom left, D top left.

Thank you

• IronFly
    Options

ok, this is a good picture.

no, something is wrong here.

about "default resolution", what did you mean?

1366x768?

Can you please also update your VGA drivers?

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_10.18.15.4248_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635731556327741653&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20E1-532P&OS=10M1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

• pintree3
    Options

IronFLy, wow you have been great. Thank you for your continuing help. I did a search on this page, which includes my 1st post for "1366" or resolution so I do not see where you read this. If I said it somewhere I probably did so because, when youdo a r-click on windows to change your resolution, it will suggest to you what the default is and this is what I would have meant. My apologies for not being able to verify and here's why. In less than 36 hours I will be leaving the continent (for a minimum of 1 year). All is packed and I am not home now and will have access to my laptop when I get home in about 12 hours.

All this to say I can not verify anything at this point and I would guess it will take me at least a week before I can get online again. So please forgive me in advance if you do not see a reply before that. I will though check my email once I'm  at the various airports (4 in all--I'm flying to Asia).

(BTW I think my vga drivers are up to date, since I often check for such things and especially since it was recently upgraded to win 10)

• IronFly
    Options

pintree3 wrote:

The resolution is set to its default so I have no clue as to how to fix this problem and to what degree it is a problem.

that's why ai asked about 1366x768 resolution, since it's your laptop default resolution.

Have a nice flight. Smiley Very Happy