Will installing an SSD to my newly purchased TC-280 (and using it to boot) invalidate the warranty?

OllyS
OllyS Member Posts: 3 New User

I want to install an SSD alongside the existing HDD and move the OS onto it. Will doing so void the warranty of my new machine? There is a warranty warning sticker on the back of it which would need to be broken to take the cover off - would breaking this void the warranty in itself?

I realise that the Acer Warranty wouldn't cover the third-party hardware, nor any damage that might occur from the installation process.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Hello,

Would breaking this void the warranty in itself?

Yes, it is a warranty seal.

France
  • OllyS

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, the sticker says "Read the warranty conditions before breaking this seal"... It doesn't say breaking the seal will void the warranty, and no where in the warranty documents does it say removing the cover will void the warranty. 

Do you still maintain that this is a warranty seal?

Thanks

• Hello,

Do you still maintain that this is a warranty seal? Yes. They play on the words. On the old models, the stickers said "Warranty seal": http://jpegbay.com/gallery/003757732-.html#4

You could ask this question to your Acer support by phone, by chat or by email.

France
  • OllyS

Thanks for explaining.

Is this common with all Acer desktops? I'm not doubting your answer at all, it just seems quite bizarre that merely removing the cover would void the warranty. It's akin to a car warraty being voided by opening the bonnet!

Presumably they don't expect you to want to clear dust from the fan and heat sink within the warranty period?

• Is this common with all Acer desktops?

Honestly I don't know. Probably.

Presumably they don't expect you to want to clear dust from the fan and heat sink within the warranty period?

Good question! According to 2.1.2.3, you can't do anything and FYI the French warranty is 2 years now:

Spoiler
    2.1 Exclusions
    2.1.2.3 service or repair by anyone other than Acer or an Acer Authorized Service Provider;
    France