Why Acer doesn't allow a second hard drive?

EleanorWhite
EleanorWhite Member Posts: 2 New User

I have just purchased a new Acer full-size tower PC.

The model, from the invoice, is apparently:

ATC-115-ER41

The dealer's tech just phoned me and tells me that

I can't have a second hard drive installed in this huge,

mostly empty box!

I've always used a second hard drive in my PCs to

facilitate real-time backing up.

Why would any manufacturer make a full size tower,

with plenty of physical room, but only data 

connections for one hard drive and one optical

drive?

I know laptop users with two hard drives.

Now, I will have to wait until I can afford an external

drive, and put up with having a sloppy external box

to deal with for the life of this machine.

I'm NOT a happy camper!

Eleanor

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

your PC has only 2 SATA connectors on the motherboard, so if you have a DVD/CD drive installed, you can have only 1 HDD.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • EleanorWhite
    EleanorWhite Member Posts: 2 New User

I understand that, IronFly - but my question is why, after

years and years of allowing a second hard drive in full size

tower boxes by Acer, would they stop allowing this?

It looks as if they took the same motherboard as in the

little "mini" tower and put it in the larger box.

I know several people who always have a second drive

as a matter of routine.  Now I spent a fortune on a

PC that won't allow this.  The dealer was shocked.

I think Acer's marketing executives deserve a major

rap for this rip off!

Eleanor

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

It would definitely be a little bit of bummer if you can't add another HDD.  But I'll be honest, although I have two drives, I don't really even use the other drive.  I have shifted 80 percent of my backup to the cloud.  OneDrive, Google Drive, and Google Photo.  I don't put sensitive financial info in the cloud, but pretty much everything else.

I think your case can "fit" another HDD since I think we have same case....although I have a different model than you. (See picture below).

I don't know anything about your motherboard, but maybe ironfly can tell you if you have available PCI-e slot so you could do something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=pd_sim_328_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Us33K1kPL&dpsrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1RKPP0P1Z87AM63XD5GK

I have never added a PCI-e SATA expansion and have no idea if they work or if it would work for your computer model.  SATA power can be achieved with a Y is you don't have extra SATA power on your PSU harness.

2drivesedt.jpg

• JordanB

Please ignore that I only have the 2nd drive connected with two screws. Smiley Wink

Edit: Our cases may not be the same, so you'll have to check inside to see if you have room.  If you don't use the DVD but on occasion, I guess you could get an external USB DVD and use the existing SATA port for your extra HDD if there is room for an extra HDD.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-External-DVD-Drives/zgbs/electronics/1292113011

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

nope, she can't.

this PC is pretty basic on motherboard and all the slot are already populated.

• JordanB

Ok thanks ironfly.

So I guess I would probably buy an external USB DVD.....and steal the SATA port from the DVD for extra HDD.  Again, you'll have to check your case to see if your case is like mine. (I have TC-605).  From the external pictures, they look the same.