Whirring noise at front of tower

larryslade
larryslade Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello. I have an Acer Aspire X3200 desktop computer. Yesterday I started hearing a constant whirring noise at the front of the tower. I shut down the computer and a half hour later I brought up the computer. After a short while the whirring noise returned. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the system up till now. I've had this computer for many years and have had no problems. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Best Answer

• larryslade
    Answer ✓

Wow!  I couldn't have asked for more detailed instructions.  Thanks for taking the time to go into such detail. As I mentioned, I've never really repaired any of the pcs I've had. I've talked myself into believing I'm not good at it. I'll give it a try. If I have questions, which I will, should I just add the post to this stream or should I click on your name? Again,many thanks for taking the time. Thanks

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Sadly it sounds like your sytem fan may be going out. I am not 100% sure but I have had some that I have had to replace the CPU fan and then all was better.... It is important as your CPU needs to keep cool. So I would seek a replacement soon as it could lead to more issues if it isn't fixed soon. 

Only other things I have had a issue with is with a CD Rom that when my system would spin up it sounded like it watned to take flight..... 

So if this something that isn't being noticed when your running a CD then most like your Case fan *If you have one* CPU Fan or could but doubt it is your PSU fan. 

James

• larryslade

Many thanks for your help.  Would you have any idea how big a job it would be to replace the fan?  I've never really done much in the way of replacing computer parts. 

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

It is really easy to make the change.... I did look at Ebay and they offer a few of them right now starting at about 19.64 USD and free shipping.....

Only thing that needs to be done is some CPU paste/Grease would need to be bought as well. The reason is once a CPU and Heatsink come apart. They need to have a good bond on the new one. 

So Here is what you would need to do, First buy the NEW Heatsink and Paste. Either Ebay or local Computer shop.,, Once you have them. Turn off, and unplug your computer from everything. Take a Philips screw driver and remove 2 screews off the back of the case, Slide the side panel off.. You will see the Heatsink and fan. Unplug the Fan from the motherboard. Carefully remove the 4 screws that hold the Fan and Heat sink to the MB. I do this in a Criss Cross action. Then once all the screws are removed, Carefully remove the old CPU paste from the CPU. A soft link free towel or the like kind can be used. Even a Clean new Coffee filter. Once all the cpu add a few drops to cover the cpu. Some people provide a plastic spade looking thing to get a good coat on the cpu.... Also with the new Heatsink cleaned area add some there to make a good bond between the CPU and Heatsink. Then put the Heatsink on to the CPU and tighten the screws again go from top right to bottom left, bottom right to top left and don't over do it when you screw it down... Plug in the new CPU fan and put the side back on and add the 2 screws back to the back. Hook it back up and your ready to turn it on....

EDIT: I guess if you were able to get the Like kind CPU fan and Heatsink you could alway remove the fan from the heatsink without removing it form the CPU and no Thearml Grease would be needed then. But either way can be done.   END Edit

James

amdTripple1.jpg

• larryslade
    Answer ✓

Wow!  I couldn't have asked for more detailed instructions.  Thanks for taking the time to go into such detail. As I mentioned, I've never really repaired any of the pcs I've had. I've talked myself into believing I'm not good at it. I'll give it a try. If I have questions, which I will, should I just add the post to this stream or should I click on your name? Again,many thanks for taking the time. Thanks