What does a double beep mean on start up

uncabrian
uncabrian Member Posts: 5 New User

When I try to start the system I get a quick double beep and a message on screen says "This bios is exclusively for Acer only" Copyright 202-2011 Acer Inc. but I can't get into BIOS using Delete or F10. What should I try to get into BIOS or get system started?
There are no disks in DVD player and no USB drives connected. What does a double beep mean? I tried using P2 mouse and keyboard and then USB mouse and KB but still get 2 beeps. Most computers have 1 beep at start up.

Ser # PTSJWP2001***

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Best Answer

• uncabrian
    Answer ✓

Well I gave up trying to fix the MB. Instaed I just bought a new MB from Ebay, it cost me $72 but was worth it. I installed the MB easily and it starts right up normally with just 1 quick beep, BIOS opens and everything is working except that I had to order a new E-recovery disk from Acer to install Windows 7 again but it's worth the $19 to have the original software from Acer for that particular PC. I always tell people to hold onto the system disks because you always will need it in the future but most people that bring in there PC's always lose it, lol. Oh well, to those of you who answered thanks for the advice.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you post your desktop model insted of the serial number?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Sadly if it is 2 short Beeps, It looks like Damaged Cmos is what it's code if stating...

As a place to start I would try and change your CMOS battery. If you have a Multi Meter I would check first that it is not at the right volts. of 3.3v if it is then could be a bad Cmos...

CMOS damaged. CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery loss occurs. Is what a 2 Beep comes out as...

Hope this helps some

James

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

@Ironfly: He owns an Aspire M3470G.

France
  • IronFly

thanks Laurent.

Two short beeps

CMOS damaged.
    CMOS checksum error or CMOS battery loss occurs

check if CMOS battery is low charge.

the CMOS battery is the silver round battery, located on the motherboard.
  • uncabrian

It's a  M3470G

• uncabrian

Sorry I don't have a Multimeter available now but I did replace battery but it didn't help. I can't find a clear CMOS button or switch. So is there a fix for this or do I need a new MB. ? I checked for a BIOS flash update but I need to get into windows to flash it or at least get in the BIOS. I'm going to look up their MB's and see if they still have any and also check to see if it's worth replacing. I personally prefer building my own generic PC systems but this is for a friend . Thanks for any advice you can offer. I was unable to find out Acer's beep codes from theit website and the Manual they offer as a download is a joke. It's a generic manual covering all their systems and holds little or no info on troubleshooting a system. This community site is a godsend though. Thanks.

• IronFly

to reset CMOS you can unplug the AC power cable, take off the CMOS battery, push power button twice and wait 5 minutes; this normally reset the CMOS.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

I am not 100% sure, I think your CLR CMOS is JP170 should be on Pins 1 and 2 right now and I think it is the Jumper that is Right next to your CMOS battery. There should be something that would have clr or JP170. Anyway if you move that jumper to pins 2 and 3 for 20 to 30 seconds. I like to leave it there for a few minutes. 

If you replaced the battery have you tried to press Delete when you start the computer to enter Bios? If you do and get in there. Press F9 to set to factory settings, then F10 to exit and save.

Sadly with that code. It has something to do with your Cmos Clock, If doing these steps. You could always do some of the other things that isn't about the beep code your getting but I always say don't hurt to try before giving up on things.

One thing I would for the sake of just trying to do all that I can. Take the Ram out. If more then one stick in take them all out. Try them 1 at a time try different slots. IF no change after doing the CLR with the jumper and the Ram re seating I would be at a loss for the info I am able to get on the problem...

James

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Quick double beep is either CMOS or RAM.  If following their advice on CMOS doesn't work, try buying a new stick of RAM,

• uncabrian

Hi, Thanks for the advice but after checking all I was told to do the only thing that's different is that now I notice when I hold down the Delete key while starting it almost goes into setup, it says "Entering setup" now below the message that says "This BIOS is for Acer use only". But it just won't go into the settings, instead it just sticks at Entering stup. I cleared BIOS with the jumper you suggested which I found right where you said and alternated RAM in different slots and orientations but always has the same result of stuck at "Entering Setup". Is there anything I can do to repair BIOS or just replace motherboard. I found one on Ebay for $99.00. I also tried disconnecting all the other drives to see if that would change anything but nope. I appreciate the help you've offered so far. Do you know where I can find the specs on this system? I can't find any info at Acer about system specifications anywhere on their site.

Anyway, thanks everyone.

• uncabrian
    Answer ✓

Well I gave up trying to fix the MB. Instaed I just bought a new MB from Ebay, it cost me $72 but was worth it. I installed the MB easily and it starts right up normally with just 1 quick beep, BIOS opens and everything is working except that I had to order a new E-recovery disk from Acer to install Windows 7 again but it's worth the $19 to have the original software from Acer for that particular PC. I always tell people to hold onto the system disks because you always will need it in the future but most people that bring in there PC's always lose it, lol. Oh well, to those of you who answered thanks for the advice.

• IronFly

you welcome.