Weird hard disk problem

Options
Skipper7478
Skipper7478 Member Posts: 4 New User

Greetings Acer community, I am here to give out my problem and seek for an answer. It might be solved soon with the method I'm currently preparing, but there is a chance that my solution could fail misarably.

I shall now explain:

I own an Acer Aspire MC605 and yesterday I decided to go on it to do some work, and I find an error message saying: Error: No boot disk has been detected or disk has failed.

I know if I just said that you would reply telling me the hard disk is no longer working, but that's not the case at all.

I turned off quiet boot and enabled CSM and all and I find on the startup that the hard disk is present and recognized by the computer but it isn't recognized to work for boot.

Next, I tried booting up the computer with a chamaleon-based bootloader I had on a pendrive. The windows NTFS partition(Which is the only one I have, I removed all other partitions and left it with a single 981GB partition) and this time I got a windows BCD error, the typical "Boot/BCD This file is corrupt)

The conclusion is that the EFI partition which holds the bootloader is not present on the disk for some odd reason. Why do I think the EFI partition is missing? For the simple reason that the chameleon bootloader doesn't display 2 NTFS partitions, since on chameleon bootloader the EFI partition doesn't display hidden as a boot option. Although it might only be a severe consequence BCD error. I will try and rebuild the BCD, I will keep informing.

Answers

• Skipper7478
    Options

Update: Disk is detected by computer. Ran CMD with the windows 8.1 install USB and did a list disk and list volume and there is no EFI partiton. What supposed to be the EFI partition is as NTFS and that shouldn't be like that. I will try to make an EFI partition and then a rebuildbcd. Tried doing a rebuildbcd before and it didn't work, it detected the Windows installation but wouldn't let me continue, it gave me an error.

• Skipper7478
    Options

EFI partition wasn't present. Followed a guide to make that partition but I can't copy the boot files, I get an error.

I'm trying to find a solution on google.

• Skipper7478
    Options

Fixed Here are the steps:

1. Insert windows 8/8.1 install disc/usb.

2. Click on repair computer after language selection and open up a command prompt.

3. Type diskpart and enter

4. Type these commands while inb diskpart:

list disk

select disk X (X is your disk number, the number will be in list disk)

clean

exit

5. Install windows

This will erase all your data so make sure to copy important things onto another hard disk or other storage device using a on-the-go system. Ex: Linux LiveCD. In my case I've used Hiren's Boot CD in Mini XP.

Have a nice day and I hope this helps the community.

• vinnie
    vinnie Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options

Happend to me when a PDF program froze and I turned off the PC and restarted. I just unpluged the the PC and left it for ten minutes or so. Restared and everything worked OK. Most of these anoying problems can be fixed by doing that.

Regards Vinnie.