Upgrading from Win7 to Win10

Options
torsteinbh
torsteinbh Member Posts: 3 New User

My X3960 is approved by a Microsoft systems check for upgrade from Win7 to Win10. However, I get an error message (C1900101-20017) that apparently refers to a bug in the boot process. After browsing around, it seems I should "enable UEFI" during booting, alternatively "enable booting from file". Neither of these alternatives exist in my BIOS version (v. 2.10.1207). A BIOS upgrade (P01.B0) is on offer from ACER, with dire warnings should I do it 'incorrectly'. Somewhere else in the ACER pages, I'm informed that my PC is not on the list of those the ACER approves for upgrading to Win10. The company's info pages are not helpful, and they don't seem to accept email inquiries. So: Should I or shouldn't I upgrade the BIOS?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

check your BIOS version prior to upgrade.

press DEL at boot and check on main BIOS screen the actual version.

i'm quite sure your PC doesn't have an UEFI option on BIOS.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • torsteinbh
    Options

No, indeed I don't have the UEFI option in my present BIOS. That's what I said above, and that's the problem. My question was, and remains: Should I, or shouldn't I, upgrade to the other BIOS ACER offers for this PC?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

only if the version on Acer support website is newer than yours.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • torsteinbh
    Options

How do you find the date of your BIOS? Mine only says: v.2.10.1207. I also found something called: M gf Date: 2011/03/08.