Upgrading X3995 Desktop

Options
IchBinJonny
IchBinJonny Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Notice: This post is a bit long. For a synopsis of what I'm asking help with, see 1st reply.

In short, I'm asking for help upgrading the hardware in my Acer Aspire X3995. I'd be grateful if you could help!

Hi, my name's Jonny and I'm a tech student looking to maintain my Aspire X3995 desktop I bought a couple of years ago, that I use for office use, predominantly.

The thing is, lately I've noticed that the system has worn down quite a lot. I've also recently heard noises coming from the tower. Now, in terms of knowledge, I know enough on how to maintain a system, but not much on how I'm supposed to upgrade this specific model. I mean, it's of a smaller nature and it's pretty cramped inside. I imagine the form factor of the motherboard is Micro-ATX or smaller, but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm used to dealing with bigger systems.

The problem I have noticed is that the 4GB RAM often isn't enough to ensure consistently stable longer periods of using the system. I mean I know 4GB is the minimum for a 64-bit OS so I have always imagined I'd upgrade to at-least 6GB at some point anyway, but I'm not sure exactly what model I should upgrade to. At the risk of sounding completely uneducated, I don't really want to run the risk of purchasing the wrong type of RAM, but something a bit better than the existing model would be great.

Then there's the Hard Drive. I notice that that is what's operating at maximum capacity when the system becomes laggy. I haven't yet had the BSOD though (touch wood lol). Just before, I heard it making noises and it was extremely laggy so I turned it off for a couple of minutes with the intention of putting it back on again afterwards, but I noticed that the fan was quite loud powering down after the system had.

Anyway, I've not modded the system, it has all the factory installed hardware, although I notice most have 6GB RAM yet mine only came with 4GB. Speaking of RAM, I did once have to take it out, blow on it and put it back in again when it failed, but that was a couple years ago now. Anyway, here's the specs:

CPU: Intel i3 3220 / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 500GB storage / Win10 64-bit

I know this is a bit long, but if you can help, I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks Smiley Happy

Answers

• IchBinJonny
    IchBinJonny Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Synopsis of Message:

- Acer Aspire X3995 has became slow and laggy frequently.

- I've heard noises coming from the fan.

- I've noticed that the Hard Drive is what operates at maximum capacity during laggy periods.

What I Would Like Help With:

- Choosing a better RAM model to replace existing manufacturer-installed model.

- Doing the same with the hard drive.

- Maybe doing the same with the motherboard too, if I would be better off in the long-run.

*I can find out more information about my system, if necessary, such as model numbers and such Smiley Happy