Upgrade Aspire F672CR with video card

Options
adruid
adruid Member Posts: 4 New User

Running an Aspire M1610 with Vista-32bit motherboard driver and Windows 7 OS. Others from Acer on the support forum say that it’s ok, and seems to work well. Problems come adding a video card. After installing drivers for GeForce cards, the machine crashes upon restart. Have reinstalled the OS to make sure it is stable. Everything seems to be good until I add the video drivers. Need help understanding what can be done.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Is the GeForce card a 32 bit card? 

• adruid
    Options

Yes, I have tried two 32-bit cards. The GeForce 220 and GeForce 8400GS. Unfortunately, they both respond the same way. There was a guy on this forum about a year ago who was upgrading a similar board and seemed to do ok with the video card, but had a problem with the audio. Here's the link: http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/f672cr-cpu-upgrade/td-p/320787 . Maybe this can help.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you uninstall the onboard card first?

• adruid
    Options

Yes, I uninstalled  the onboard card and deleted the drivers. The NVidia card was inserted and the computer booted to Safe Mode with Networking. The drivers were downloaded and installed in Safe Mode, and the computer rebooted. This resulted in the same black screen. I have tried it in Normal mode as well with no difference in results. Yesterday I spent some time researching updating the bios. It seems there is no bios update for this F672CR R01-A4 motherboard. There are no updates at all on the Acer site. I can, however, find updated bios on a third party site, but am very hesitant to trust any of them. Thank you for your assistance!