Unsuccessful BIOS update with M3100/M5100

Options
apvaronen
apvaronen Member Posts: 4 New User

I am planning to upgrade my Aspire's AMD Athlon 64 4000+ proseccor and graphics card.

I read that AMD Phenom X4 9500 would be probaply the best option. Before ordering proseccor I tried to update my bios to  R02-B1 without succes. BIOS installation informed "the program file's part number does not match with yuor system"

My PC is labeled and bought as M3100 but BIOS says it is M5100 ( I think this conflct is due to the major warranty repair done to this PC)

So BIOS info:

Aspire M5100

MB S/N      04PJ75018889

Main Board ID      F690GVM

SM BIOS Version        2.4

System BIOS Version       6.00 P6

System BIOS ID            R01-A3

BIOS Release date      10/10/2007

I thank for any succestions.

Best Answer

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

When you update your Bios you need to stay with like Kind. If A then stay with A if B Stay with B and L stay with L... I think that is the problem and looking at the page to your Bios updates it looks like yours is better then what is listed. 

Hope this Helps some

James

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

When you update your Bios you need to stay with like Kind. If A then stay with A if B Stay with B and L stay with L... I think that is the problem and looking at the page to your Bios updates it looks like yours is better then what is listed. 

Hope this Helps some

James

• apvaronen
    Options

Thank James,

So it is better to stay on R01-A3.

But can I still upgrade my CPU? For example AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+?

Life time of this PC with current sigle core CPU is at the end of the road Smiley Sad

Do you think it could be worthwhile to try some upgrade?

Ari-Pekka

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

As a general rule of thumb, it's pretty dangerous to try and flash BIOS for a different model than what you have.

Also, it's probably not an A vs. B issue.  It's most likely a R01 vs. R02 issue.

The links below are pretty helpful.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35410#_ga=1.184608617.1321547189.1454132220

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire/Bios-Update-XC-705-P11-B4-schl%C3%A4gt-fehl/m-p/387652#U387652

My personal opinion is you should not try to upgrade your BIOS or cpu and you should start thinking about replacing the computer.  If you wreck your computer, you might end up making a hasty decision on buying a new computer.  Right now, since you have a working computer,  you still have time to shop around and research your next computer.....and look for bargains/deals.  

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • apvaronen
    Options

My personal opinion is you should not try to upgrade your BIOS or cpu and you should start thinking about replacing the computer.  If you wreck your computer, you might end up making a hasty decision on buying a new computer.  Right now, since you have a working computer,  you still have time to shop around and research your next computer.....and look for bargains/deals.  

That's really good advice and exactly what I first thought also. But more I thought this upgrading more interesting and fun I found it. It feels so nice to try to get some more years out of this old cheap basic Aspire which already is on overtime Smiley Very Happy

I decided to take it little a bit more safe and not to try Phenom or X2 6000. Instead I ordered X2 5600+ with same level TDP as my original CPU.This might end up badly but let's see what happens.