Trying to update the GPU in my Acer TC-705-UR58

Options
tjfwainwright
tjfwainwright Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi there. I have some possibly dumb questions.

I recently bought TC-705 and for Christmas my wife gave me a new graphics card (EVGA Geforce GTX 960 4gb) and power supply (EVGA Supernova 550 g2) so I can play some games. 

I have been having trouble trying to install that graphics card in this motherboard and case. If anyone has any experience with this, I would love some help with the following:

1. While trying to fit that giant card into the PCI-e slot, I disconnected a small white wire that was attached to the small square next to the black wire. How do I reattach that wire? 

2. While trying to cram that giant card into the PCI-e slot, I think I snapped off the yellow connector (image below). Any idea how/where to reattach that? I've circled in red where I think it came from. What do I use, freaking superglue? 

I unplugged the USB1 blue cord in order to try to make room for the graphics card. (I would rather have graphics than working front USB ports). 

photo 8 EDIT.jpg

3. In the process of messing up those two components above, I've realized that this card is way too big for this space as is. Does anyone with experience with this motherboard think that the card would fit if I moved the hard drive up a bay? Or do I just need a smaller graphics card?

Thank you very, very, very much for any help you can give. This is my first time opening up a computer. 

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Your computer is a nice system from the start and adding a nice GPU is a good place for upgrades... However

With your system as you have it; NO Super Glue isn't going to repair your computer. That part is going to need to be Soldered back on to the board and will need to be completely removed from the case to do so. 

Where it goes? I don't have one of them in front of me so it is hard to say. You could track it back to where it goes on the front of the case, Then look at the MB and see where it goes that way! Lets say the wire goes to the front Audio ports on the case. Then on the MB it should have something that would give you the idea that is what goes there... like the Blue Connecter there is for the USB 3.0 ports. Should says something USB 1 2 or 3 4 or something like that... 

If you have a computer repair place around you, I would say your best bet is to take it in and have them fix it. 

IF your set on a GTX 960 I would look into a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 Mini-ITX Card....

Hope this helps some

James