The heat sink on my Intel 845 chipset has fallen off. How serious is this?

Options
wbilct
wbilct Member Posts: 2 New User

The heat sink on my Intel 845 chipset has fallen off. How serious is this?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    That heat sink is supposed to be attached to seperated by separated by a small layer of thermal paste. If you run your chipset too hot, it's going to start shutting down your computer automatically and it "could" cause permanent damage.

What I suggest is that you find exactly where the heat sink goes, figure out what surface it was attached or buy some thermal paste, and re-affix it. Do NOT run your computer without it or you might end up spending a bunch more getting a new chip.

You can buy thermal adhesives (Artic Silver makes some), which are simple to use and hold well. Rubbing alcohol should remove the old adhesive, but don't worry too much about it. The only way your computer knows about the heatsink coming off is by elevated temperatures of the chip, although the chipset temperature isn't monitored.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.png to say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• Tunagrande
    Tunagrande Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Are you anywher near Las Cruces, NM? I'll be glad to help!

If not...look for the chip with a sticky whitish surface that covers up the writing, that's probably where the heat sink goes.

Clean it off. I recomment ISOPROPYL alcohol as it wont hurt much of anything. (Clean the heat sink too!)

Get some thermal paste like the other guy recommended. (Radio Shack sells it.)

Put a VERY THIN layer of paste on the heat sink. I use a tiny amount and the edge of a business card to spread it smooth.

The paste is only used to thermally couple the two surfaces. More than a thin layer can act as an insulator and defeats the purpose!

Press the heat sink firmly in place and wiggle it a bit to make sure it's solidly in contact. On most heat sinks there is a physical clamp of some kind that holds it in place. If you find it and can figure out how it works, good for you! If not, see if there is a way to use a plastic ty-wrap to hold it in place.

I got very basic with these instructions because I'm sure there are a few novices out there that need all the steps! No insult intended.