TC-705 crashed. won't boot up. error message

Options
unktim
unktim Member Posts: 12 New User

My Aspire TC-705 crashed.  It won't boot up.  error message says DVD drive is missing driver.  I wasn't too worried at first because my recovery is on a thumb drive.  It went through whole installation process but on re-boot it started all over again.  Endless loop.  I tried all the repair options available with no success.  I went to the command prompt and ran the scan and repair.  It scanned fine but could not make the repairs.  One online source said if nothing worked the hard drive may be damaged.  I put a new hard drive in but there was no improvement.

Where do I go from here?

Best Answer

• unktim
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ironfly,

I Downloaded vanilla but after I extracted it I could not make heads or tails of it.  The readme file went on and on about running forums with it but did not tell me anything about how to launch it.  I floated a question online about how to launch it but the first instruction I got was to open my WOW file.  I knew then that I had wandered into some elses universe.  After reading further I realized it was about gaming.

All this is moot right now because  both my DVD drive and all my usb ports are dead.  There is nowhere I can go except into the bios.

At this point I don't think there is anything I can do.  The computer is still under warranty and I have a one year  protection plan so I am going to let Newegg and Acer refurbishing deal with.

I wish I could give you a hundred kudos for all your efforts.  I thank you and anyone else who participated.

unktim

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

try to disconnect the DVD drive and run with just 1 ram module inserted.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • unktim
    Options

Ironfly,

a couple of things:

First, I clicked kudo twice after your first answer.  I don't understand why it didn't go through.  I also clicked on this one.

Second,  I left out a detail in this question.  As I mentioned I tried all the onscreen utilities with no success.  The final one was the command line scan and repair.  After that every time I boot up I get a message:  reboot and select a proper boot device or install media and press a key. I can no longer access the screens with suggestions and my recovery drive no longer boots up.

I tried your suggestion and there was no change. I get the same message.  I tried variations of your suggestion.  I tried putting the first module back in and took the other module out.  When that didn't work I tried switching the slots I put them in.  I know that is ridiculous but it is a reflection of how desparate I am.  I don't remember if I mentioned  it in my first question but this computer is a refurb.  I have had good luck with refurbs in the past but that streak ended with this one.  It came with no internal speakers or mic.  For eight days I called acer refurbishing with no luck.  After a couple of rings the robo-receptionist says "all of our support people are busy with other customers.  They never call back.  I finally contacted newegg whom I bought it from.  They would not contact acer refurb and they said the extended protection plan I paid for did not cover the external speakers and mic that I was forced to buy.  They did offer me a $10 gift certificate.  I told them I wasn't interested but it might make gfood toilet tissue.

• IronFly
    Options

about kudos, just click once.

ok, we need other infos:

1) which windows version are you trying to install

2) BIOS is UEFI or LaunchCSM set?

3) how did you create the USB recovery?

• unktim
    Options

I was running win 10 home when it crashed.

My recovery disk is made from backup and recovery of the same win 10.

The BIOS is Launch CSM.

• IronFly
    Options

Set BIOS to UEFI and try to re-install.

• unktim
    Options

I could not find anything in the BIOS that would allow me to change over.  The letters UEFI do not appear anywhere.  Is there another name for UEFI?

• IronFly
    Options
    Just disable LaunchCSM
  • unktim
    Options

I disabled csm early on along with secure boot. 

Is it possible for the bios to remain functioning if the rest of the motherboard is fried?

On another note, I enabled the usb alarm and got a series of seven evenly spaced pings on boot-up along with a message that ps1,2,and 3 were out.

• IronFly
    Options

BIOS is the first thing that boot, so yes it can run even if the motherboard has some issue.

So, just to resume.

Launch CSM and secure boot are both disabled

Have you tried to re-install from USB flash drive, wiping your HDD completly?

• unktim
    Options

If I could do that it would be great.  Here's the situation:

The only thing I can access any more is the BIOS.  After I ran all the options including scan and repair from the command prompt I could no longer access them.  My DVD drive and usbs are now inoperative. This all happened

at the same time.

If I don't go into the BIOS I am confronted with a black screen that reads:

" Reboot and select a proper medium or insert a proper boot medium and press a key"

It does not recognize anything I put in.  Pressing a key just copies the same message.  I would not need to wipe the hard drive because it is a brand new drive that I installed after all else failed.

As 

i was writing the above when it occured to me that maybe that is why everything stopped.  I am going to reinstall the other drive.  At least I had some access.  Maybe you can cogitate about how to get my recovery drive out of the endless loop.  I will let you know what happens.  unktim

• unktim
    Options

Nope, no luck.  Just the black screen with the same aggravating message.

• IronFly
    Options

enter BIOS, press F9 and the F10 to save and exit

now boot back to BIOS and check if LaunchCSM is disabled, if not set as disabled.

would you mind to do a vanilla windows 10 installation media, downloading the iso file and copying to an USB flash drive using Rufus?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

use the download too and select to save it as iso file, then download Rufus

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

use the same settings as on the main page screen when creating the bootable flash drive, then try to boot from it (launchCSM disabled)

check if Boot menu is enabled from BIOS:

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6814/~/enabling-the-boot-device-menu

enable it and when booting press F12 and choose the USB flash drive.

• unktim
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ironfly,

I Downloaded vanilla but after I extracted it I could not make heads or tails of it.  The readme file went on and on about running forums with it but did not tell me anything about how to launch it.  I floated a question online about how to launch it but the first instruction I got was to open my WOW file.  I knew then that I had wandered into some elses universe.  After reading further I realized it was about gaming.

All this is moot right now because  both my DVD drive and all my usb ports are dead.  There is nowhere I can go except into the bios.

At this point I don't think there is anything I can do.  The computer is still under warranty and I have a one year  protection plan so I am going to let Newegg and Acer refurbishing deal with.

I wish I could give you a hundred kudos for all your efforts.  I thank you and anyone else who participated.

unktim

• IronFly
    Options
    You welcome.