Soluto Software

Options
DustyMojave
DustyMojave Member Posts: 13 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Bought an Aspire / x AXC-603G-UW12 Monday. As I get accustomed to working in 8.1, I find things surprisingly slow considering the Intel Quad Core processor. Not much faster than my 2002 PC with XP. Opening Task Manager, I find Soluto software using 25-50% of the new CPU pretty much constantly. Research only tells me Soluto's marketing spin that the software is "Helping ". But Who is it helping? Acer or Soluto? I HAVE learned that the softwares report to Soluto what is being done on my computer. It looks to me to be a factory installed Trojan Horse.  I see no way it is helping me. Can anyone tell me otherwise? Searching in these forums finds nothing. I'm surprised nobody else has had anything to say on the subject. At this point, I''m thinking of uninstallling all Soluto softwares. Then maybe report them to the anti-virus software companies as malware. Any thoughts folks?

Answers

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

I just got an AXC 603 also but the Freedos version (as it was cheaper than a version with windows licensed).  They are pretty new so no suprise noone mentioned them just yet.

Although a quad core processor it is a celeron (at least the one I purchased) so the cache in the thing is considerably less (2meg)than a full-on desktop processor.

This is also a small form factor style mainboard, I think this model is more about low power consumption than high performance.

I have a habit of removing most of the "bloatware" on machines I purchase just as a matter of course, I just want the hardware and the OS, not all the bundled stuff added on............but to each their own of course.  I think you should just uninstall it and not give it a 2nd thought Smiley Happy

• DustyMojave
    DustyMojave Member Posts: 13 New User
    Options

Thanks for responding Inspiration.

I had not run across anyone selling new computers such as your 603 less 'Windows. I might have preferred that. Then I could have installed 7 instead of 8. I've read a number of forum and blog discussions of troubles with replacing a factory Windows 8 with 7, although some are very happy with the results of doing that. I really don't understand the whys and wherefores of that causing issues, but I would not be surprised of MS has some sort of sneaky component to Win 8 to discourage diong that. They're trying very hard to sell Windows 8, and from what I read, it's going over only slightly better than Vista. It's interesting to note that there are far more computers on this planet still operating on XP than there ever were on Vista.

As to it being an SFF unit, I knew that and really would have preferred a regular desktop PC. But I'm not using it for gaming or other hi-demand uses, and cost was a major factor in the choice. Sure...I'm aware of some of the lesser capabilities of the Celeron and an i7 gen 4 like my son's buddy has for hard-core gaming would be nice...I use a computer for internet forums and light browsing, watch some youtube, photo management (not art or professional, no photoshop), email, word documents up to several hundred pages, and light spreadsheet work.

But back to the point of this thread...

At this point, I'm trying to figure out which softwares on this thing are "bloatware" and which are important. THAT is a major part of the point of this thread. IS Soluto "necessary", or even helpful or otherwise desirable? Or is it just a part of a package deal which really doesn't apply to this machine? Or is it actually a spyware?

If Soluto is in fact malware or bloatware, which other factory installed softwares can/should I ditch?