Single long beep on power on then nothing (G3-605)

br3ndan
br3ndan Member Posts: 5 New User

Effectively I updated the BIOS, this seemed to work as I got the new display logo and once in Windows I reinstalled the chipset driver, which wanted a reboot. So I said yet to that, now any time it powers on it just beeps for a few seconds then nothing.

Tried reseating the RAM, and the GPU, but this hasn't worked. Not sure how to reset the CMOS if it's that, but the complete lack of anything happening on the screen (doesn't seem to get that far) and the manual not having post codes in, means I am at a loss what to try next.

Does anyone have any ideas? I mean all I've done is search for my SNID then install the BIOS and chipset it gave me so a bit frustrated that now it doesn't work at all.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

You welcome.

just remind that if your BIOS is corrupted and can't even bootstrap...you have a dead motherboard.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

To clear CMOS, you can unplug AC power cord, take off the CMOS battery (silver button battery) just over the GPU card, press power button twice, wait 3 minutes and then put back everything.

or 

power off your PC, unplug AC power cord and short pin 2-3 (Pin 1 starts from left) of the Clear CMOS, it's in the middle of the bottom of the motherboard.

short it for 2-3 minutes and then take off the short and try to power your system.

I can't find any Beep codes but normally 1 short is something wrong on GPU.

• br3ndan

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried both of those but it still does the same thing. I can probably get a loan of another GPU to swap it out with to see if it is that.

Annoyingly though it's not a very current model it is only a year old, and the Acer site either says it's out of support or doesn't exist at all, so I'm hoping I can revive it somehow.

• IronFly
    Have you tried to boot to BIOS with just 1 ram module, GPU and keyboard connected?
    So no DVD/SSD or HDD connected
  • br3ndan

Just tried that, first with one RAM module installed, then the other, still get this single beep then nothing more.

I feel like it must be the BIOS update that killed it, but then I just got it from the Acer site and the CMOS reset isn't working.

I'll get my data off it tomorrow and see if I can work with Acer support. It's meant to have a two year warranty even if the site is denying it exists at all.

• IronFly

check your private messages

• br3ndan

Great, thanks so much for this, I can't get to the PC now but I'll try this in the morning and let you know. Thanks again for all your help with this.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

You welcome.

just remind that if your BIOS is corrupted and can't even bootstrap...you have a dead motherboard.

• br3ndan

Couldn't get it to boot to the recovery BIOS so yep, seems like the motherboard is dead. At least the other components seem to be OK so I can just replace that (ideally under the warranty but if not then they don't seem too expensive).

Thanks again for your advice.

• IronFly
    You welcome