Setting in BIOS to change RAM speed in an ATC-605?

Options
acc
acc Member Posts: 2 New User

Is there a way to enable or see the settings in the BIOS to alter RAM speed and timings?  I know a lot of things are locked away compared to a normal built system, but is there a way to do this?  Looking to see if I can enable XMP and up my RAM speed to its appropriate speeds.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Are you talking about the stock memory in your computer?  Or you've added some different memory?

I think the max it can do is the JEDEC standard for the motherboard which is DDR3-1600 CL11 (I think).  Even if the BIOS did support XMP. I don't think it would do much good since you can't overclock the CPU.  Neither the locked Haswell CPUs or H81E chipset support overclocking on the TC-605s.  So wouldn't the performance gain would be tiny without the ability to overclock the CPU......?

I was actually thinking about buying some 1600/1866 just for curiousity sake, but I get the feeling it would bump down to 1600 due to that JEDEC standard which is out of Acer's control.  

I have the i5 4440 which says it only supports 1600 max.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75038/Intel-Core-i5-4440-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

I don't know though, I'm not an overclocker....so maybe somebody can give you a better answer.

Anyway, the TC-605 is more of a mainstream desktop.  Don't get me wrong, you can max it out to 16GB ram and......

At this point, I've added to one of my tc-605s...a SSD with the ram cache enabled, and added some additional ram.  It's pretty quick.  Now I just have to pull the trigger on that gtx 750ti-sc (if it will fit in the case)  Smiley Wink

Edit:  If you're using CPU-Z or Speccy, and you're using the ram that came with the tc-605, it should give a frequency of around 800 Mhz.  Which would be 1600 since it's DDR=DoubleDataRate.  I think when I checked it said something like 798.1 Mhz...which is close enough to 800 Mhz.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • acc
    acc Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Yeah I replaced it with 2 other sticks of 8gb ram.  They are able to run at 1600, and that is all I want to do.  The machine is running them at 1333, and I just want to try and change the setting to 1600 and adjust the timings, but there is nowhere to do it in the bios.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Ok, I understand.  The ram you purchased is (unfortunately) probably "xmp-1600" instead of "1600". 

The JEDEC standard for the motherboard would be DDR3-1333 CL9 and DDR3-1600 CL11 and since your ram is xmp-1600 instead of 1600, it falls back to 1333.

Acer reads this forum so maybe they'll respond or take your request under consideration.  But you're right, there's presently no way to do XMP in the BIOS. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably return the ram and get some different ram.

Good luck.

I'm not an Acer employee.