Repair Install of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM verstion

Options
kencoburn1942
kencoburn1942 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I want to do a repair install of WIndows 7 on my computer so that I can correct system file errors that cannot be repaired when I run sfc /scannow from the command prompt.  I do not want to have to reinstall all my program appiications - just repair damaged Windows 7 files.

How do I go about this?

Best Answer

• kencoburn1942
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have already tried a Microsoft Windows 7 ico and that did not work - presumably because the Windows version on the Acer laptop is an OEM version.  Acer have only provided a facility for restoring to factory condition which is very disappointing.  It looks like I have hit a deadend and only a clean install with fix the problem.  Thanks anyway for your help.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you press Alt+F10 keys at boot, this normally will start Acer erecovery.

i'm not sure there will be any repair/fix options by the way.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kencoburn1942
    Options

According the the Acer support web site that option will wipe out any data and applications that I have on the computer.  I was looking for an alternative way of doing a repair install of Windows 7 which leaves the data and other software applications in place.  In other words, I simply want to repair the corrupted files of the Widows 7 installation found by sfc /sannnow.

• IronFly
    Options

so, you need a windows 7 installation media.

• kencoburn1942
    Options

I downloaded a WIndows 7 SP1 ico and created a bootable DVD but that failed (said a particular file could not be found).  Are you aware of a reliable source for downloading this ico?

• IronFly
    Options

it's iso, the only reliable is 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

but normally OEM product keys will not work.

• kencoburn1942
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have already tried a Microsoft Windows 7 ico and that did not work - presumably because the Windows version on the Acer laptop is an OEM version.  Acer have only provided a facility for restoring to factory condition which is very disappointing.  It looks like I have hit a deadend and only a clean install with fix the problem.  Thanks anyway for your help.