Recovery Failure with Aspire 5517

Options
bobsharma
bobsharma Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I'm trying to re-install windows 7 using the Acer ERecovery CD but I get to the point where I need to install Recovery  1 Cd and I get a response that it's failed due to insufficient disk space??? or something like that.  

I read up on using the partition wizard tool to wipe off the the current HDD but not sure I did it correctly as it obviously didn't work.

Any other ideas?

Bob

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

You can use the media creation tool to create Windows 10 installation media.  This Windows 10 media has tools that will allow you to wipe your HDD clean.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you create the media, you want to select "both" 32 and 64 bit.

After you create the media, you boot the media with your F12.

When you see the screen below, you press SHIFT F10 on your keyboard to get to a command prompt.

windows10shiftF10.png

After you get to the command prompt, then you can follow instructions for diskpart clean to wipe your drive.  It works on both hard drives and sold state drives.  Be sure you select the correct drive.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi bobsharma

If you're not sure if the Partition Wizard ran correctly - try it again. If it shows the hard drive as blank (or as unformatted) then it has worked. If it is still showing partitions of any kind then it hasn't! You can use the tool to create a new partition too.

Alternately, remove the hard drive & attach it to another PC & format it there.

If after the above, you still have the same problems, then it may be because your hard drive is dying. A replacement drive will solve the issue.