Recovery Disks Not Working for Acer Aspire 5741

Options
Sheena
Sheena Member Posts: 2 New User

I tried to reset my laptop - Acer Aspire 5741, to factory settings. It crashed, and will not boot. 

When I turn on the computer, the screen says:

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

I ordered a set of recovery disks. After I run the set of recovery disks I get the following error:

Restore failed - Error code=0x714 (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image : The specified image file did not contain a resource section.)

I have researched and tried everything I know to do, but am unable to fix my computer. Please help.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

have you completly wiped/clean your HDD before using the recovery disks?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • FJ44
    FJ44 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, How do I clean the HDD?  I have recovery discs.

• IronFly
    Options

you need to completly wipe your HDD
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    right click on your HDD icon and choose delete all patitions and click on yes and then apply
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/delete-all-partitions.html#howto
    or wipe your HDD completly (it will erase also any GPT or MBR on the HDD), choosing the first option after selecting the wipe function.
    then exit partition wizard, boot to BIOS, set UEFI back from Legacy (if you have UEFI BIOS) and boot from the erecovery media.

• Sheena
    Sheena Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you.the local Office Depot performed the steps to wipe the HDD, however, after running the recovery disks, the same error message is appearing.  Is there any way that I got a bad set of disks?  If so, how do I get a replacement set?  I've thought about purchasing a copy of Windows 7 to do a new OS install as well. Not sure if that will remedy the problem either.

• IronFly
    Options

You can contact Acer support service and ask for another set of recovery disks, they will send for free.