Problems with Acer Aspire AX3400G-U4802

Options
En-Sabah-Nur
En-Sabah-Nur Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an Acer AX3400G-U4802, and I have never had issues with it at all till this past December. In December, the RAM failed, and I replaced the RAM, upgrading from the original 4GB to 8GB. Then, in January, things got bad.

One afternoon, our power flashed off during a snow storm, and after about 5 minutes it came back on. I went to power on my PC, and it failed to recognize the hard drive. I reboot, go into the boot devices, and it recognizes the CD-Rom drive, but not the hard drive. I reboot, it boots fine.

After a few moments, it crashes. Once again, it is failing to see the hard drive. After checking a few other things, I decided to try to reinstall Windows, which I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It failed to install the first time, and then the second time it installed.

Upon booting up, my PC is incredibly slow. As in, it took over half an hour just to get it connected to the internet. I went to check my system performance, and it would not even rate the system with the Windows Experience, failing when I attempted. I thought maybe I just need to perform some Windows updates, and when I would attempt to do so, the PC shut down. Upon rebooting, it failed to see the hard drive.

I purchased a new hard drive, Western Digital 1TB, installed the new hard drive, adn I am still having the same issue. Is it my motherboard failing? My CPU? The power supply? I am at a loss at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi En-Sabah-Nur,

Unfortunately if you installed a new RAM and Hard Drive I think you are correct on your question. I think is the Motherboard in this case, I hope I am wrong.

Does the PC shut down even when you enter the BIOS?

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• En-Sabah-Nur
    Options

No, it does not shut down when I enter the BIOS. Also, what makes me think it is the motherboard, is that when I select f12 for boot devices, normally it shows the hard drive and the CD-Rom drive, but when it fails to boot, under boot devices the space is empty.

• Coqui13
    Options

I have to think that power flashed damage the motherboard somehow.

☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

• En-Sabah-Nur
    Options

That's what I was afraid of. This is a small case and motherboard, it appears to be a mini-ITX. Looks like I am replacing it.

• Coqui13
    Options

Well before you decide to buy the MB the only thing that comes to my mind that you can verify is the SATA cables. Have you tried to remove them and placing them back for several times on both ends, the MB and HDD as well. Maybe they have gone bad and you may need to replace them.

The MB should be this one : https://www.discountelectronics.com/product?product_id=18696&product_model=2651

• En-Sabah-Nur
    Options

I disconnected and reconnected the SATA cables multiple times. After the first failed install of Windows on the new hard drive, I disconnected it and then disconnected the cable from the motherboard several times, and still ended up with the same result. It looks like I am replacing the motherboard at this point. I do not know of anything else that it could be.

I greatly appreciate your assistance on this issue. Do you think there is a compatible motherboard that I can use that would be cheaper than buying the one you linked? It has an AM2 socket AMD chipset, a PCI Express slot, and 4 240-pin slots, uses DDR3 RAM 1600. I do not want to spend a lot if I do not have to, but from what I have seen, it may be difficult to find an AM2 socket mini-itx motherboard.