Problem installing recovery discs on new hard drive

Options
Tasrak
Tasrak Member Posts: 9 New User

My friend recently had to buy another hard drive for his desktop when the original crapped out.  He also bought the recovery discs from Acer.  I've just gone through the install, after formatting the hard drive.  Everything went well until the program asked for the computer to be restarted.  Now there's a quick flash of loading sequence, then the screen just shows a flashing cursor in the upper left.  Any ideas?

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Hello, Sorry your having some issues with your Restore! I am looking to clear some issues tha it could be..... 

First it sounds like a BOOT ERROR.

Second, I am wondering if you have done any other upgrades to the computer before, Like NEW Ram or something other then the HDD. 

If you have say 8 Gigs of ram and installed 4 new from the time it was bought it could be that your error is with your system. I would try and change back things to factory as you can and do the Restore again. Like for me an one of my Acers. I have installed 8 gig of Ram that is matched and I have the 4 Gig that it came with in a Static Free bag incase something goes wrong one day I have it to fall back on. 

I would also remove a VGA card if you installed a new card since you bought it and use the one that may have been onboard already. 

I don't know your sytem or how it is setup. Some advice may not apply. I hope it is something as simple as just a Ram or GPU card install. 

James

• Tasrak
    Options

Alright, after removing the extra RAM and video card, I tried the installation again.  No Joy.

Slaved the hard drive back into mine and deleted all the partitions.  Ran install again.  No Joy.

The only think I can think of is that the discs are making the Acer partition to boot from.

Any other thoughts?

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Sorry that didn't seem to make things work for you! I know it may seem like it wouldn't matter but did you also try the other SLOT of the Ram. At times it can work however maybe the other slot is the main and that is why it wasn't working. I guess the next thing is to Ask what is the Computer type and What is the Recovery disc your using for this sytem? What is the Size of the HDD that was Replaced and what was the Size of the HDD removed?

Also I don't know if your using a USB Corded CD/DVD drive or Flash Drive? One built into the Hardware. I have had some issues before using a USB DVD/CD drive where it would load part way and then stall for some reason just wouldn't pick up. Unplug from that USB port and after using another Port it would work fine. Again sorry don't know what type of system your using so Can't give better troubleshooting tips. 

James

• Tasrak
    Options

Computer is Aspire AM3910-E2552.

Hard drive is a 1TB Seagate that is the same as what originally came with it.

The receovery discs were ordered from Acer.

CD/DVD is installed in computer.  Original equipment.

I swapped the RAM over.  Nothing would load.  Put it back in original spot.  The hard drive initially powers up (can hear it) but it's like it refuses to boot.

Hope this helps for some more ideas.