New SSD - problem with boot order

Options
joeoil
joeoil Member Posts: 51 New User

I have cloned my HDD to new Samsung SSD with EasyUS. That part was ok.

I still have my "old" HDD connected.

Now I have problem with the boot order. 

1. Boot Device [EFI Device]

2. Boot Device [ New Samsung SSD]

With this boot order I get this message:

"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selcted boot device and press enter"

What is wrong?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

that if you didn't erased the windows installation on the HDD, the BIOS has some issues on which device to boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • joeoil
    Options

Hmm... I'm not sure.

I made some google search and there seems to be some problem regarding Raid and Ahci settings. On some computers the diskdriver in Windows is deactivated and have to be activated before switching from RAID to AHCI mode. 

I tried to download a QuickFix file from Microsoft support but the fix was for older OS. I have Win 10 on my computer. 

It was possible to fix the problem manually in the REGISTRY_KEY. To switch settings to 0 some place. I don't know if I'll try to look at the problem tomorrow.

I have to go to sleep now. Smiley Happy 

• IronFly
    Options

what's your PC model?

• joeoil
    Options

Acer Aspire M3920 (Windows 10)

Intel Core i3-2100 3.10 Ghz

When I boot the computer in RAID mode I get a flash a few seconds of some text similar to this I found in a other forum:

http://postimg.org/image/kerm68q2v/

It's some thing about "Non-Raid Disk" on both my HDD and SSD.

And when I switch Onboard SATA mote from RAID to AHCI and boot my computer I get a blue screen and a text with "Ineccessible_boot_device"

So, my computer will not get in contact with new SSD, whatever settings or boot order I set.

• IronFly
    Options

ok, i understand your issue.

this was a bad configuration from factory, since you can't create a RAID configuration with just one HDD apart trying a software one.

if you try to boot only from SSD using RAID, are you able to boot?

i would try to boot from the SSD only, using RAID and check if the registry trick will work, at least you will always have your HDD available to boot using RAID.

if this doesn't work, i can only suggest you to set BIOS to AHCI, connect just the SSD and do a new clean install, then reconnect the HDD.

• joeoil
    Options

No, it was not possible to boot in RAID mode with only SSD connected.

Then I guess I'll try to find the correct way to enter REGISTRY_KEY and change the settings there. It looks like this is the only solution to the problem. 

Thanks 

• joeoil
    Options

I tried a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD and it works. I disconected the HDD and the SATA mode is set to AHCI.

Does this mean I can not use my old HDD to storrage purpuse later?

I'll see what happens when I try to connect the HDD later when I'm finished with all installations.

• IronFly
    Options

you can use your HDD but i don't know if the content will be accessible, since it was under RAID.

• joeoil
    Options

Now the SSD works perfect, after complete install of Windows 10 and other programs. SATA mode is set to AHCI.

I then connected the HDD, wiped both partitions, formated it and it now will serve as backup and storrage purpose. I tested it and it is ok. 

Only one question remains, not a big issue. 

My HDD have to partitions. D: and E:. Is it possible to merge these two into one and with one drive letter?

I didn't find a solution on that.

• IronFly
    Options
    Windows key logo + x
    Disk management
    Right click on the HDD and delete one of the partitions on HDD and choose to expand the other or wipe both partitions an format the HDD with a single partition.