New Hard Drive Will not Boot Using Recovery Disks, Aspire Laptop 7740-5691

oscar1
oscar1 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

When I first started having problems with the original 320 GB hard drive on my Acer Aspire 7740-5691 I installed a 1 TB Seagate hybrid drive. I tried to use the 3 recovery disks and the driver and apps disk to install Windows 7 but the computer would not boot up. Actually I never got to use the driver and apps disk. Error message was “Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computers hardware”. The hard drive is 320 GB, processor is intel i3 quad core, ram is 4GB, the laptop was purchased a little over 5 years ago. Does anyone know what this error message means or what I need to do to get the 1 TB hard drive to operate using the recovery disks? This is really a nice older laptop and I would like to continue to use it. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Oscar!

Best Answer

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
  • oscar1
    oscar1 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

Thank you for your help. I will check this out later when I have some time but will accept as solution now. When Acer and other manufacturers started using a recovery system, on the hard drive or recovery disks, they saved a lot of money but the customer got it socked to them. Many things keep the recovery systems from working. The old way of having an operating system disc come with your computer was and is much more reliable.  I do appreciate your help very much. Oscar1