My Aspire T win7 takes long time to login and then very sluggish to be unusable.

checkchanacer
checkchanacer Member Posts: 17 New User

I discovered that if I login with the router off and then turn on the router it works nornally. What could be the problem?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Could be a virus. Download and run free Malwarebytes and see what it finds. Run it in safe mode.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.20.1024 Final

• checkchanacer

I have been running free Malwarebytes  weekly but I will try this again. "safe mode" you mean run window in safe mode? how to do it?

The whole story ---

The PC was bought in March 2015 and has been running fine until October when the monthly backup failed. Then on log off it tried to do 5 updates which took 30 minutes and then shut off. It continued to do 5 updates on log off about 10 days then it started to show the slow login and non-responsive behavior after login. I found a work around by pushing the pc power switch which did not turn off the pc, then turn the power strip off/on and hit the pc power switch again to restart it. Then it seems to work ok. I restored the system to the AUgust backup point still having the same problem. Then I found logging on with the router off trick.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

To get into Safe Mode, as soon as you hit the power switch, start tapping F+8 rapidly until it gets into the boot screen.

Are you still getting the 5 updates trying to install at boot? Go to Control Panel/ Programs and Features/View installed updates and check if any of the Oct. updates are still there even though you did the restore.

Go to Start and type "msconfig" and go to startup tab. Check disable all and restart. This will tell you if a startup program id causing it or hardware.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

I am not 100% sure if it is related or not however don't really sound Virus related but updates related. in my case with same kind of issue, when one of my Acer One's only had 1 gig of ram it was very painful to start the computer with the network on. Either the Wire or Wireless. So I started to turn them off to load windows and let the things that needed to start up load. Then I would connect to the internet and let it do the updates that Windows 10 wanted to do. I know my issue was slightly different as it was Win 10 but with only 1gig of ram it would stall so bad that I couldn't even start File Explorer. After I would catch on and let it do its thing I would have 3 or 5 File Exporers load and anything else I would try and start lol. 

After I installed 2 gig stick it still gives a little lag but no where like it was. Also I can start the laptop with network on without to much of a drag.

James

• checkchanacer

events over the weekend--

Friday:

startups disabled and restarted system, it works ok. pc turned of.

Sat: 

turned on system with router on. "welcome" screen spinns for 3 minutes and takes 10 minutes to load up all programs. got a message about McAffee launcer error but then the system seemed to work ok. system was turned off.

turned on in the evening and it was unresponsive after login. an "igfxtraywin" icon appeared on the task bar, clicking it nothing shows. use taskmanager to delete all "igfx" tasks and the system seemed to work ok.

Sun:

turned on system with router on and it worked ok.

-- malwarebyte was run in safe mode and nothing shows up.

-- no installed updates were found. ( I had changed the option to "ask to install update" since the resotre).

-- log off takes about 4-6 minutes, log in takes about 3-4 mintues.