My Acer Aspire XC-603G locks up Need to turn off and reboot

Options
rfb431
rfb431 Member Posts: 8 New User

I can be working on the computer and suddenly nothing works. The cursor does not move, no key has any effect. I need to shut the computer off and reboot. Lately,it seems to happen more when the computer is left on but not being used for a period of time.  Nothing gets it out of "sleep" if that is what state it is in. Any suggestions? Thanks 

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Lately,it seems to happen more when the computer is left on but not being used for a period of time.

First I would replace the Cmos battery.

France
  • rfb431
    Options

Worth a try. Thanks for quick response. Enjoyed visit to your country last year. 

• laurent_14
    Options

Enjoyed visit to your country last year.Smiley Very Happy

Oh! Have you been to Paris?

France
  • rfb431
    Options

One thing I would like to add to my original question. In looking at responses to other Acer models, one solution was it is a problem with the hard drive. I now recall that when I turn the computer off and then on again, I am getting a message " Scanning and repairing drive (C)" and it slows down between 57% and 63%. Could the hard drive be a problem with this model as well? Appreciate your help. Thanks 

• laurent_14
    Options

In this case, first I would scan the HDD with anti-malware E.g. Malwarebytes free version

France
  • rfb431
    Options

Sorry for the delay in replying . The hard drive checked out OK. Spent two days in Paris and wish it could be a lot more. Take care 

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

The next step, I would check the HDD with Seatools (Seagate and others brands) or Data Lifeguard Diagnostic (WD).

France
  • rfb431
    Options

Acer, without any action on my part that I am aware of,  gathered information  on two occasions and shortly thereafter sent upgrades to my computer. Since then I don't get the "scanning and reparing drive C" message. I did run the Seagate Long generic test which you suggested and the hard drive proved to be fine. Thanks, I probably would have replaced the drive unnneccessarily if I did not do that test.  Now there is a long period of time ( a week or more) before the computer locks up again. This occurs if  I leave the computer unattended for over a two hour period. I can  live with that until I find the problem . I  found some screen about shutting down the hard drive and changed the time frame from 15 minutes to two hours. I just did that yesterday. I don't know if that will solve the problem or not. I can't do without my computer so giving it to repair shop for a week or more waiting for a interminent problem to happen is not a solution at this time. I really appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks. Take care 

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

1. Which version of Windows do you use?
    2. Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • rfb431
    Options

Bought with 8.1 upgraded to Windows 10

Acer  serial # DTSUVAA003

• laurent_14
    Options

Have you installed all drivers updates for Windows 10 64-bit:

Spoiler
    AudioRealtekAudio Driver6.0.1.7525196.2 MB2015/07/28Download
    BluetoothAtherosBluetooth Driver10.0.1.059.1 MB2015/07/28Download
    BluetoothRealtekBluetooth Driver865.867.0603.201599.1 MB2015/07/28Download
    CardReaderRealtekCard Reader Driver10.0.10125.3121412.3 MB2015/07/28Download
    ChipsetIntelChipset Driver10.1.1.82.7 MB2015/07/28Download
    LanRealtekLAN Driver103212.1 MB2015/07/28Download
    TXEIntelIntel TXE Driver1.1.4.114547.6 MB2015/07/28Download
    VGAAMDVGA Driver15.20.1045292.9 MB2015/07/28Download
    VGAIntelVGA Driver4242121.4 MB2015/07/28Download
    Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver10.0.0.31859.1 MB2015/07/28Download
    Wireless LANRealtekWireless LAN Driver2023.10.0415.201599.1 MB2015/07/28Download
    France
  • rfb431
    Options

I see the list of drivers I believe you sent but I thought they would be included in the windows updates? I just checked windows again and I am up to date with windows updates.  I appreciate your time but it is going to the Super Bowl party time and will be away from the computer till tomorrow. . Being from Colorado, the Denver Broncos will win!  Tomorrow, it is back to England and German football that I enjoy more. I get to watch your Paris team on occasions which i enjoy also. U S soccer is no match but getting better with all the foreign players coming across the  pond.    Take care and thanks. 

• laurent_14
    Options

We can watch The Super Bowl 50 on a french channel this evening 0.00AM! I am not a fan of US football.

There is an US football team in my county: The Conquerant ahaha! and a good football team (ligue 1):SM Caen

France
  • rfb431
    Options

Thanks for the list of windows 10 upgrades which iIinstalled Tuesday PM your time. One bluetooth update did not load since the file  was corrupted and did not load.  I do not use bluetooth so I hope it is not the reason for my  problem. Do I have to do anything with the updates  other than them in my downloads folder? I used a program called Zip Opener on the zipped files. I also checked again and my Acer and Windows updates are up to date. I will let you know if the problem still occurs in the future. I'm confident with what you have done so far.  I sure appreciate your help. Take care