M5-581T, Win 10, and Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse 5000.

Options
jdubyak
jdubyak Member Posts: 30 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

After upgrading to Win 10, my Bluetooth mouse quits working when the laptop goes into hibernate or sleep.  Sometimes it will reconnect and other times I have to power down/up the mouse. Using Microsoft Mouse 5000.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

jWk,

When I tested my microsoft bluetooth mouse 5000 last winter with Windows 10 technical preview, it did the same thing on my desktop.  At the time, they didn' have the qualcomm/atheros driver updated.  But now it works fine on my desktop (when I tested it) because they (Qualcomm/Atheros)  updated the driver for my computer.

So I'm guessing that it's a driver issue for you on your laptop.  Unless your computer is on Acer's supported list, all you can do is hope Microsoft works with broadcom or atheros to get your driver updated.  You didn't say whether you have broadcom or atheros bluetooth.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

I guess you could also check with either broadcom or atheros about a driver.  Since Acer doesn't actually write drivers for bluetooth, it's kind of out of their control....as far I know. Most of the wireless drivers are proprietary anyway so they (Acer) probably wouldn't even be privy to the code even if they wanted to.

Don't forget to check your mouse's batteries too.  My mouse goes through a lot of triple A batteries, so maybe they're getting low.  It's never that simple. Smiley Wink

Some people have had sucess with various components by using the old Windows 8/8.1 drivers from Acer's website.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Good luck.

I guess you could always try a different mouse or go back to previous OS. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jdubyak
    Options

My Bluetooth is Broadcom and I did update the driver in Device Manager.  Still drops the connection when the laptop goes into sleep/hibernate.  My laptop is Not on the Acer supported list, so I will go to Broadcom and start with them to see if they have an updated Win10 driver.

Thank you for your help.

• JordanB
    Options

Maybe I'm confused about your problem.  My 5000 mouse doesn't work either when my computer sleeps.  I *think* that's normal.  When I wake my computer, it immediately connects with 5000 mouse and mouse works fine.

I think that you're saying that  your mouse doesn't reconnect to your computer after sleep or hibernate.

I guess you could also delete your mouse and try to re-pair it.  Or uninstall/delete driver(s) from device manager and let it re-install by itself after you re-start computer (check windows update).

• jdubyak
    Options

You are correct in that the mouse does not always reconnect after sleep or hibernate.  Sometimes it will immediately reconnect, and other times I power off the mouse and power it back up to get it to reconnect.  I also updated all of the drivers in device manager.  I also went to Broadcomm and there are no new drivers for Win10.

I have not tried to delete the drivers and let the laptop reinstall them on boot.

• JordanB
    Options

I should have mentioned.....

On my desktop computer, I have updated the bluetooth driver, the chipset driver, and the BIOS.  So I can't really tell you for sure that the problem last winter was strictly my atheros bluetooth driver.  It could be that your broadcom bluetooth hardware isn't compatible with windows 10 and never will be.  I just don't know. 

The downside to troubleshooting is you can sometimes make matters worse and really mess up your computer if you start updating things and changing things.  Most troubleshooting messes that we get ourselves in to can be resolved with a factory reset.  But I can't recommend that you do a BIOS update because if something goes wrong, not even a factory reset can help you.  It will cost you possibly a few hundred dollars to get your computer repaired if you mess up your BIOS. For your particular computer, I don't think a BIOS update will help anyway.....but not sure.

A chipset driver update might help though.  You can try intel driver update utility to see if there is one available.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

You can also try a clean boot, but I really doubt if that will help.

Also, try going to control panel>power settings and see what happens when you're on max performance or at least max performance for wireless.

But before you do any of that stuff above, I would try to borrow a different bluetooth device like maybe a keyboard or a different mouse to see if the problem is specific to your microsoft 5000 mouse or the same behavior is exhibted in other bluetooth devices.

Troubleshooting is mostly a matter of a process of elimination.  Start with the easy things first.  Smiley Wink

If it were me, I'd just grab a non-bluetooth wireless mouse.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice

Edit: I probably should have also said.......it may be an issue of pure economics.  If Broadcom had to put out a new driver, they may not be real interested in doing that unless they get paid.  And if their hardware is on the legacy side and/or is no longer being purchased, there's not a real big incentive for them to develop a new driver for windows 10. 

• jdubyak
    Options

Here is a tip that I found on another forum.  I did it last night and the mouse is almost 100% so far today.

(I have found the solution. The microsoft MTP (Media Feature Pack) drivers was not present so my computer couldn't recognise my phone.
    They are avalaible here for win 10 (official microsoft webpage : https:// www . microsoft.com /en-us/download/details . aspx?id=48231). Since then, my computer recognise my phone and also when I send files by bluetooth.

I don't know if it helps here. Because, I thought it was a bluetooth problem but actually not.)

• JordanB
    Options

Good find. Hopefully that will fix it.  I'll have to check out that media feature pack later tonight and see if I have it. 

Edit:  And now that I think of it.......when you upgraded to windows 10, it should have warned you if your bluetooth wasn't going to be compatible.  If it didn't warn you then it's probably compatible.

I've never actually upgraded a windows computer that's not on Acer's eligible list, so I'm not really sure though.