Intel drivers Star Wars Battlefront

kungfuchicken
kungfuchicken Member Posts: 7 New User

Bought Battlefront today, and can't get it to run.  It needs newer drivers for Intel HD graphics 4600, but there are no drivers on Acers support page that are new. The latest driver is dated in july or august.   I can of course download directly from Intel, but will Acer allow me to install it?  NO!  

How can I update drivers?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

You didn't mention the model or that you have Windows 10. You downloaded the latest Intel driver and it wouldn't install? Go to Device Manager/  double click on Display Adapters and Intel. Select  details tab and change dropdown menu to Hardware IDs. Copy the first ID and search for a driver with it.

• kungfuchicken

I tried to search for a driver, but no luck finding anything newer then august.  Here is what I copied:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_091D1025&REV_06

I have installed Windows 10 and my Computer is Acer Aspire VN7-791

Yes, I downloaded drivers from intel, but they can't install since ACER doesn't approve of it.

• philetus

What do you mean by "ACER doesn't approve of it"?

Have you tried the Acer Win 8.1 driver?

• kungfuchicken

I'll try that.  By ACER not approving it, I mean that when I install driver downloaded from Intel directly, I get halfway through installation, then it stops, and says something about not being allowed to install, and to visit the website of the computermodel I have (acer)

• kungfuchicken

Tried to search Acer for the drivers for windows 8. They were from 2014.

• philetus

Looking around, I see many Aspire VN7-791s playing Star Wars Battlefront with no problems.

You bought the laptop with Windows 10 already installed or updated more than a week and a half ago and haven't updated to the Threshold 2 update?

It isn't just updates, it is a complete new version and it just might fix your problem.

http://www.howtogeek.com/232176/whats-new-in-windows-10s-first-big-update-the-windows-10-fall-update/

• kungfuchicken

It's very strange if others don't have issues. I have updated to latest version, and everything should be in order.  But i get a message from Battlefront saying that intel driver needs updating. And it looks clear to me that there really ARE new driveers, but not on Acers website.

Thanks for taking time to try to resolve my issue, it seems this one is a bit tough though...  Maybe if need a clean install of windows, but that sounds weird too.

• philetus

Have you tried running the Intel Update Utility?

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

I asked a friend what driver he is running on his VN7-791.original.png

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

To get the latest WHQL 4600 driver from Windows update, simply uninstall/delete your current Acer/Intel HD 4600 driver....and Windows update should automatically download and install the latest WHQL HD4600 driver after a few minutes.

If you want to install the latest generic driver from intel website, you must either use the HaveDisk method, or you must first uninstall/delete your current HD4600 driver.

new4600driver.PNG

Note: My desktop works fine with generic Intel HD4600 driver.  Since I don't have your computer model, I don't know if the generic Intel driver will work fine for your computer.

Edit: 4281 is insider driver, but there is a newer non-insider driver than what's on acer website.  I think you need beta driver from intel website anyway.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

But you're probably going to need the beta driver for battlefront.......

Again, not sure if it will work for your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

battlefront.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.