Installed 2 additional 2gb memory chips in my Aspire X3910...

Options
mwaine
mwaine Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

.... for what should be 8gb total but am receiving an audible alert and machine will not boot. Added 2 Kingston 2gb, PC3, 10600, 240 pin chips. Have tried any number of configurations with same results. Anyone have any insight? Thanks

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Hello, I am not 100% sure but I think the issue is that your system takes 8GB total Ram. That can be done in 2gb Ram x4. I know that you said that you have a 4gb chip now as I must assume because you said with the 2 new that you bought would make 8. However Looking up your system it says that each slot supports 1 or 2 gb sticks. I am not saying that your system don't have a single 4. Just that it isn't in any of the paper work that I can find to work. 

Also important that if your system is using OS 32bit that it would only support upto 4gb and really show under 4 in stats... 

Did you try just the Ram you bought 2x2gb to see if they would work with out the 4gb installed?

Also wondering if you looked in your BIOS to see if the Bios found that the extra Ram was installed? Again could be that your using a 32bit OS?

James

• mwaine
    mwaine Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Appreciate the reply and sorry for the confusion. The initial config consisted of two 2gb dimms and 2 empty slots. Kingston both. Added two more 2gb chips, also Kingston w/ the above specs. Have 2 X3910's and the new dimms did the exact same thing. Neither machine will post far enough to get into bios and yep, 64 bit OS. Finally, put all four original 2gbs in one machine and it recognized 8gbs. Must have ordrered a couple of incompatibles.  Time to beg for Neweggs forgiveness. Thanks again unless you can think of anyting else.

• thejohn
    thejohn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am getting the same audible sound after replacing the mismatched 4 sticks of ram with 4 2gig sticks of ram. Same brand, but wonder if I didn't get sdram and only dram. Could that cause this?

Please help.