Increasing VRAM on ATC-710-UC52?

Options
JackCobb
JackCobb Member Posts: 2 New User

Just bought an Aspire with an i5-6400, 16GB of DDR3 and a 1TB HDD. Skylake processor with HD 530 iGPU is fairly capable, but dedicated RAM is currently set at 128MB, given the amount of total RAM I should be able to increase it to a 1GB or more, but when I can't seem to adjust it in the BIOS. The onboard graphics subsection appears greyed out. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

JackCobb,

That RAM increase is all done automatically now.  Windows 10 will provide the Intel HD530 up to 1.7 GB automatically.  It's all done automatically in the background.  If an application/game asks for more memory, it will get it.  It's perfectly fine that it's set at the minimum default 128.  

In June of 2015, Intel released a graphics driver for Haswell and Broadwell (and Skylake) to address some Unified Memory Architecture related issues.  You have skylake and your Intel Graphics driver is much newer than June of 2015 so you have nothing to worry about.  Skylake is newer than haswell and broadwell.

Those settings in the BIOS are no longer necessary for new Windows 10 desktop computers.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackCobb
    JackCobb Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Interesting. Thanks for the reply!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

You're welcome.

There's a handful of older games, e.g.  GTA4 that could give you trouble, but that's because they weren't coded properly.  I'm going to send you a private message with an official Intel workaround if you should have an old application or game won't run due to reporting of a lack of memory.

I doubt if you'll have any problems though or would need the workaround if you're running fairly new applications or games.  GTA4 is from 2008....

There's more info over on the intel forum.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Dewayne759
    Dewayne759 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate everyones help.