I have an Acer Aspire M5 model 481PT-6644 and cant upgrade to windows 8.1

Options
curtcreelman1
curtcreelman1 Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Acer Aspire M5 Model 481PT-6644 Touchscreen and have tried several times to upgrade to Windows 8.1 so that I can upgrade to Windows 10.

when I reviewed the Acer model numbers that were eligible for the Windows upgrade, my Model number was not on it. Does this mean I cant ever run Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 on my Aspire M series? 

If so, is this because I have a touchscreen and maybe the Windows drivers are not compatible.

Thank you for your help

Curt

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Hello sorry your having problems with your system..... Looking up your system it seems they have drivers for 8.1 and 8 so Sounds like you can do the update to 8.1. I would look at the list for being able to run 10 because I don't see any 10 drivers.....

For your System Drivers

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4545;-;Aspire%20M5-481PT

For Windows 10 system......

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

I would say that if you have not tried. Go to the Store App and then do a Search for Windows 8.1 That is where it sends me when I needed to do a update to 8.1

James

• curtcreelman1
    Options

Thank you for your help and looking into it for me. I dont really care all that much about 8.1 and the start button. I was really wishing I could upgrade to Windows 10. My Aspire came with Windows 8 and evrytime i get a pop up reminder to upgrade for free to 8.11 it's like a stab in the back. I tried to upgrade once a year ago and after two hours, I got a Microsoft Error message saying it could not install 8.1 and it was going to have to restore my computer with Windows 8 , which it did with no data loss.

I love my touchscreen aspire. its the 1st Gen with a solid aluminum / brushed steel frame, very well made and with a great core i5 processor. I don't know why it wont run Windows 10. I eventually wanted to get involved in beta testing with Microsoft's Hololens-hologram computing platform but I need Windows 10 to even be considered by Microsoft

Thanks for your time. I will keep looking for the Windows 10 list and will send some notes to Acer. I think this is an Acer thing. They are not pushing the issue with Microsoft.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you can try a thing if you have some spare time.

recovery your windows 8 product key:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key

Download windows 10 from Microsoft website, using the download tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Create an USB or DVD bootable media using that tool.

backup all your data and create the Acer erecovery media, to restore your PC back to factory if something went wrong.

Boot using the windows 10 bootable media, choose custom install and erase your HDD partitions; install windows 10 skipping product key requests.

once at desktop, press windows logo key, choose Settings, updates & security, on the left side click Activation (must have a data connection) and input your windows 8 product key.

so you will have a clean and authenticated windows 10 install, then you can look for any drivers that windows 10 can't find (you can check about any yellow exclamation mark on Device manager (windows logo key + X, Device manager)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • curtcreelman1
    Options

Dear Ironfly

Thanks for the effort and time you put into that answer. Most awesome. I did find out thanks to you how to obtain my Windows 8 product id or registration key.

I do have a complete set of recovery disks that Acer sent me 2 years ago for free when I blue screened and had no back up disks made. I am just afraid that if I dump evrything and start from scratch on a fresh install of Windows 10, that I will be getting into areas of messing with the sysytem bios and other things that I dont know enough about and dont want to rendere my machine unusable to the point that I have to take it to the Geek squad for FIRST AID. I am sure the touchscreen drivers are the issue . Maybe, just maybe Microsoft will come up with something so that I dont have to buy a whole new laptop. This one should  be good  for another 2 years. I really wanted to beta test for the Hololens platform w/ Microsoft.  Anyway, thanks again for your help to our community. Really nice of you to help people out.