I have a X3400 desktop with 4K RAM. Lately only 2k of RAM is recognized

Options
fabster
fabster Member Posts: 5 New User

I have a X3400 desktop with 4K RAM. Lately only 2k of RAM is recognized. The result is that it slows it down to a crawl. Any idea why and what can eb done to fix the problem??.

By the way it used to recognize 4K of RAM. The operating system is WIndows 7.

Best Answer

• fabster
    Answer ✓
    Options

Without any action on my part one day it recogninzed 4GB and the next day it went back to 2GB.

So I checked the bios and it recognized 2GB. Then I opened the case and found  the memory sticks to be solidly set in, but also a lot of dust near the fan. I vacuumed the interior and it has recognized 4GB ever since. It could have been the heat caused by the thick dust layer and one of the memory sticks being more sensitive to heat than the other.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

windows 7 x64?

check on BIOS if all the ram is recognised, press DEL at boot and check it on the main tab.

if not, you need to open the desktop case and check if the ram sticks are well seated.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • fabster
    Answer ✓
    Options

Without any action on my part one day it recogninzed 4GB and the next day it went back to 2GB.

So I checked the bios and it recognized 2GB. Then I opened the case and found  the memory sticks to be solidly set in, but also a lot of dust near the fan. I vacuumed the interior and it has recognized 4GB ever since. It could have been the heat caused by the thick dust layer and one of the memory sticks being more sensitive to heat than the other.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

It is always good practice to keep the dust at bay!
    However, in this case, I doubt dust/heat was your problem. You may be surprised to find how often RAM can develop poor connection over time. I suspect your RAM check was sufficient to remake a connection but don't be surprised if the problem returns. Apparent 'solid' mechanical fit may not indicate good electrical connection. Generally, removal and reinsertion of the RAM is enough to resolve the issue and keep you problem free for years. On very rare occasions, it can be extremely difficult to resolve.