I bought an Aspire desktop at a sale,NO password,and no disc ,what do I do??

Options
jjoyce
jjoyce Member Posts: 1 New User

Everything seems ok but I do not have a password and it keeps prompting to insert a disc which I do not have .Any  thing I can do to change or recover password.thanks

Answers

• JonM
    JonM Member Posts: 25 New User
    Options

Hello,

I see you mentioned that you purchased your Acer desktop on sale. Is there a chance that this is an Acer Recertified unit?

I have seen this problem that you are describing before. This is an issue that has affected the initial setup process of some Windows 10 systems. You would turn the computer on and it would just instantly go to a lock screen with a mystery username (Other User) and it would ask for a password. When you would go to reset the password it would ask for a password reset disk that you do not have.

The easiest solution we have found for this problem is to reinstall a fresh copy of the Operating System via the recovery partition. This can be done a couple different ways, but since you're making it to the Lock Screen, give this process a try: 

If you’re stuck at the lock/login screen:

• Click on the power button in the lower right corner of the screen
    • Place your mouse cursor over “Restart”, but don’t click on it yet
    • Press and HOLD the LEFT SHIFT key on your keyboard (Next to the letter Z)
    • While holding SHIFT, click “Restart”. Keep holding SHIFT.
    • Release SHIFT at the “Choose an option” screen
    • Click “Troubleshoot”
    • Click “Reset This PC”
    • Click “Remove Everything”, the screen will go black and say “Preparing”
    • When the blue screen comes back, choose “Just remove my files”
    • At the next screen, click RESET.
    • The screen will go black and will give you the progress of the reset process.
    • When the computer restarts, set up the computer as normal.

This should take care of the problem for you. If not, just let me know and we can explore some additional options from there.