How to update the TXE driver? Instructions are not clear (Aspire XC-603G)

Options
cdgingrich
cdgingrich Member Posts: 10 New User

How to update the TXE driver? Instructions are not clear (Aspire XC-603G)

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

update to windows 10 version?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • cdgingrich
    Options

I have already completed the upgrade to Windows 10. Thanks

• IronFly
    Options

i mean update the TXE drivers to the windows 10 version?

i think you need to run only the exe on the installer folder.

• cdgingrich
    Options

Existing version is 1.1.0.1064

Latest version available is 1.1.4.1145 (from the Acer download website)

• cdgingrich
    Options

Tried that already (even removing the old driver first), but even after rebooting original driver version still there

• IronFly
    Options

already checked using windows update drivers?

• cdgingrich
    Options

yes. Windows says that no new driver available

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you install the chipset driver first?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• cdgingrich
    Options

Yes, I did. All other drivers updated too

• JordanB
    Options

It might be a long shot, but I guess you could try updating BIOS if you're comfortable doing something like that.

• cdgingrich
    Options

Already done that as well....

• JordanB
    Options

If I were in you shoes, I'd probably load the BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10), wipe the drive, and do a clean install of Windows10.

But that's easy for me to say because I have two computers so it's not a big deal.  And I have a USB factory default recovery drive and drivers and apps backup that I made here:

http://acer-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27089/~/creating-a-usb-or-dvd-drivers-and-applications-backup-in-windows-8#_ga=1.73461138.1421557346.1443292026

I don't know if you'll still be able to create a factory default recovery drive or a backup of drivers and apps.  It won't hurt to try.  There's lots of videos on this website too.

Otherwise I'd just do a clean install of Windows 10.

A clean install of windows 10 would typically go like this:

1. Backup all your important personal files like photos, word documents...etc..etc,,..because the following steps will wipe your HDD or SSD.

2. Create a windows 10 installation media (either USB or DVD--doesn't matter which).  Choose "install on a different PC".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

3. Go in to your BIOS settings and enable the "Boot Menu" and then save/exit.

4.  Boot the windows 10 USB or DVD installation media.

5.  After you choose your language, look for "Repair your PC"...and select "Repair your PC".

6. Navigate in the menu and select "Command Prompt"

7. Use "diskpart clean" which will wipe your HDD or SSD.  Be careful here, because if you select the wrong drive.....that would be bad.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

8. After diskpart clean successfully runs, exit out of diskpart, and exit out of command prompt.

9. Navigate in the menu until you find "shutdown your computer"...and shutdown your computer.

10.  Turn on your computer, and install windows 10.  Choose custom install.  Don't attempt to format or partition your HDD.  Left click on your blank drive that says "unallocated space" to select it. Left click on "next".  After you click "next", the windows installer will automatically format and partition your HDD/SSD and install windows 10 for you.  When it asks for a product key, you don't need to enter a key.....just click on "skip" or "not now", or "do this later".  It should automatically activate when it's done installing (assuming you're connected to internet).

11. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

And you could always try to reset your PC with Alt-F110 at boot (Acer Screen).

Or go to settings and click on "Update and Security" and then click on "Recovery"

• cdgingrich
    Options

Sounds pretty awful quite frankly. 

What does the reset option do?

The instruction page for the TXE update is over 100 pages long! Something about using FWUpdate in command mode.... Definetely not written for the nontechie in mind. The closest thing I've found to "real" instructions is found here

http://www.win-raid.com/t624f39-Intel-Trusted-Execution-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

where they say the following:

How to use FWUpdate

a. Open a Command Prompt window as administrator
    b. Type FWUpdLcl -fwver to check your current TXE Firmware version on the system
    c. Type FWUpdLcl -fwver TXE.BIN to check the version of a specific TXE Firmware (where TXE.BIN is the firmware file to be checked)
    d. Type FWUpdLcl -save OLD.BIN to make a backup of your old firmware version for safety/sharing reasons (where OLD.BIN is the backup file to be created)
    e. Type FWUpdLcl -f TXE.BIN to upgrade/downgrade your TXE Firmware to the desired version (where TXE.BIN is the name of the firmware file to be flashed)
    f. Type FWUpdLcl -f TXE.BIN -allowsv to re-flash the same TXE Firmware version (where TXE.BIN is the name of the firmware file to be re-flashed)
    g. Type FWUpdLcl -? to see the full list of all available commands and capabilities the tool provides

Make any sense at all?

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  My bad.  I re-read your original post.

1. Download the driver from acer website

2. extract

3. double click the "installer" folder

4. double click "setupTXE"

Edit: If that doesn't work, then I'd have to agree that it is a little confusing and/or intimidating to know what to do.  I'm sure someone will let you know how to proceed.

• IronFly
    Options

i asked more informations on Acer TXE drivers update, waiting a reply.

• cdgingrich
    Options

Thanks but this is what I had done already (before starting this post) when the original driver version still remained in place

• JordanB
    Options

i think he understands the problem.  Smiley Wink

He's just going to check on a solution. Smiley Happy

• cdgingrich
    Options

Any updates here, Folks?

Still waiting patiently...

• IronFly