How to add a second hardrive to aspire Desktop M3201

Options
tech1126
tech1126 Member Posts: 73 Devotee WiFi Icon

Hi there guys i have another question:

I have an aspire m3201 running Windows 7 and i would like to add a 2nd HDD to be used for backups.This drive has Windows XP on it with a SATA connection.

Can you guys help me with this?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Macrium is a backup software, i gave you the official webpage link where you can download it.

Sometimes windows 7 backup has issue as yours and only a third party software can help you.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

yes, you can add it, your system has 3 SATA ports and there's a free slot in the HDD bay, just open the left case panel (front view)

if you google service manual with your desktop model, you will find some usefull infos. Smiley Happy

• tech1126
    Options

Hi guys,

I added the 120gb HDD running windows xp and it went well except for when i tried to perform a Backup to this 2nd drive.

As i implemented this backup i got an error:

"The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with"(0x80041321)

The OS reported there was not enough space on the 2nd hdd to create a system image so i tried running the backup with this option checked as well as unchecked but i get the same error regardless.

The 2nd hdd is 120 gb with 67gb of used space

with 37gb of free space for a total of 104gb

Hope this helps with finding a solution to the problem.

• IronFly
    Options
    Open windows disk management, right click the HDD you want to format and format as NTFS (this is needed to have backup working).
  • IronFly
    Options
    Obvious if you don't need the data on the second HDD
  • tech1126
    Options

Ok obviously i will lose all data on this HDD which has approx.111gb total according to disk mngmnt.My question is this:

When i tried to perform a backup to the new hdd i checked the box for a system image to be included in the backup and i got a message generated thru win 7 os that said in order to include a system image i would need 159 gb of space but i saw an article on microsoft site that said a system image can be around 30 gb of needed space so can you clarify this for me before i start the format?

Thanks!

• IronFly
    Options

Because windows backup will copy all the contenc on your main HDD, so if it's 159GB it will copy all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/237423-how-big-should-system-image.html

i can suggest you to try a free third party software like Macrium:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

• tech1126
    Options

Hey IronFly,

I formatted another drive i had hangin around which is 80 GB and i am still getting the same errors i reported in my previous post.You did mention i should try using Macrium which i have no experience with this site but i'll give it a shot cuz i think something is wrong with the windows 7 backup tool.

If you have any more good ideas let me know if not i'll move forward with the above?

Thanks alot for your help i have nothing but respect for you and your knowledge,

Tech1126

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Macrium is a backup software, i gave you the official webpage link where you can download it.

Sometimes windows 7 backup has issue as yours and only a third party software can help you.
  • tech1126
    Options

Hey Ironfly,

The macrium software worked perfectly and now my pc is backed up appropiately!

Thanks for your help talk to you soon!

tech1126

• IronFly
    Options

you welcome.