How do I map homegroup?

Stilako
Stilako Member Posts: 7 New User

I'm setting up a new Aspire Desktop, running Windows 10.  I have it connected to my home network, but can't find any way to show what else is connected.  In particular, I have an HP Deskjet 2015 print/scan/copy colour printer that works well, but because of location, it's running connected to my modem, via Cat5 line, to an IOGear GPSU21 Print Server.  I'd like to be able to find that server from this desktop, so I can attach it.

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

I am not sure how you have your system setup. However unless you can set your PRINT SERVER in the Homegroup you have made and loogged onto you would have to find your Printer in the NETWORK ICON and not under your homegroup.... A Home group is one that you would set up with a Password and that would then be shared with other computers in the home group....

Your Network, It will show your computers as well, But also shows other devices like Smart Phones, Routers, Printers and Scanners.... 

Most important part of that is to make sure they are all on the same TCP/IP and Subnet... IF your Printer was set up with a Stitic IP of say 192.168.1.250, With the Subnet of 255.255.255.0 then your Router should be 192.168.1.1 with the same subnet and then it would be set to give out IP's to all other sytems that connect over Wire or Wireless... It could be set like starting IP of 192.168.1.160 up with the IP's lower then 160 could be set for other things in your Router like your HPNA or AP that is set by your router... 

You could try to Ping your Printer, (Right Click the Windows/Start button, Then Command Prompt (Admin)) then type in ping printer address like (ping 192.168.1.250) with out the ( ) iF you can ping the Printer then you should be able to access it.. If you don't know the Printers IP you can get that info by typing at the command prompt arp -a that will tell you all the items that are on your network.  You may also be able to see your printer server at the command promt type (net view) without ( ) your looking for something that would maybe start with 1P_PrintServ if you didn't change the name...

I am not sure what Printer server your using but you should be able to get info from it as well. Either over the LED/LCD screen it has if it has one. or on the bottom of the unit it may be listed whet it was set up as... 

I haven't heard of your printer to know for sure what it is. I do know they have a Laser Jet P2015

Hope you found something useful here..

James

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Also I thought i would add. In case you are reading the first post i don't want you to miss this one....

Once you found your Printer server all my Printers that I use with both Wifi and Wired connections. Use them over Wireless, If I type the IP address of one my Printers they will all have a Webserver built into them. Your print server should as well... SO if you say found your printer at 192.168.1.250 and you opened Edge if your using the built in internet browser in the address bar type in the IP address. It should ask you for a user name and password to make changes to it... Once you can access it over Edge or Chrome or whatever your using... You should be able to set up your printer in your devices...

I have included a Screen shot of one of my printers that is at 10.0.0.238 It is connected over wireless so you get an idea of of it would look like... 

James

Screenshot (42).png

• Stilako
    Stilako Member Posts: 7 New User

Thanks for the info.  I'm learning new-to-me things.  One of them was to discover that I have two computers running on MSHOME and three on WORKGROUP.  That tells me why I can connect to some and not others from a particular machine.

I was able to ping the print server.  In reading documentation for the Netgear WNDR3700v3 router, I find there is something called a ReadySHARE Printer utility I can download to it, that will let me print to that USB printer from anything connected to the network.

Thanks again