How do I configure my laptop to automatically download & install Windows Updates?

Options
DRBAJB
DRBAJB Member Posts: 4 New User

I am new to the Acer community and I just posted a question and then I hit a keyboard button and it disappeared so I don't know if I posted it or not so I am repeating it.

Microsoft Answer Desk has told me that the OEM of my laptop (Acer) has configured my computer at the factory so that it cannot download and install Windows Updates automatically as Windows recommends.  I can hardly believe that statement.  Does anyone know how I can configure my Acer laptop to do that?  I have tried everything I can think of and nothing will allow me to choose that setting which is always "greyed" out.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

DRBAJB,

What is the model # of your laptop?

What operating system came pre-installed on your laptop?

What operating system do you currently have installed on your computer?  Windows 7?  Windows 8.1?

What country did you purchase your laptop?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DRBAJB
    Options

Deaar JordanB,

Thank you for your response,  In reply, I submit the following information:

1. Acer Aspire Model M5-481PT

2. Oririnal OS: Windows 8.0

3.  Upgraded to Windows 8.1

4.  Laptop purchased in USA.

P.S.  I think that for some reason, Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize my account as an ADMINISTRATOR

account and therefore, 

• DRBAJB
    Options

Dear JordanB,

Thank you foryour response.  In reply, I submit the following:

1.  Acer Model M5-481PT

2.  Originally installed with Windows 8.0

3.  Upgraded to Windows 8.1

4.  Country of purchase: USA

I somehow believe thatWindows 8.1 is not recognizing me as the ADMINISTRATOR of the account and is preventing me from changing the Windows Update setting.

Atb, Don Bartetl 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    Thanks for the info DRBAJB. I'm completely stumped with this one. I'm sure someone on this forum will give you some input. Good luck.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DRBAJB
    Options

Dear JordanB,

You're not alone.  I just got off the phone with Microsoft's Answer Desk and after 1 1/2 hours, the problem is fixed.  I can't say that I really understand how since the Microsoft tech went into my registry to make changes to a key called AU (Automatic Update).  It was beyond me but I thank you for your interest in my issue and the time you devoted to it.

I don't know how to remove a problem from the Acer forum like I do on the Microsoft Community board but I hope that anyone that reads this, will know that the problem is solved.

Always the best, don bartel