How do I add a 2nd independent monitor to my X3470

Options
duncanbrown2000
duncanbrown2000 Member Posts: 1 New User

I use an Acer Aspire X3470 running Windows 7 Home Premium.

The processor is an AMD A6-3600 with integrated Radeon HD Graphics 2.10 GHz.

The display is a Samsung SyncMaster 245B serviced by the AMD Radeon HD 6530D adapter and connected to the PC via the VGA port.

I have purchased an additional HP W2071d monitor that I want to add to the system.

I want the 2 monitors to run independently so that I can read documents on one monitor and use the other monitor to surf the net at the same time.

I first tried to install the HP monitor by running a DVI cable from the Samsung to the HP. It worked fine but the 2 displays were just clones of each other and could not work independently.

The PC does not have a DVI port but does have a HDMI port so I next bought a HDMI to DVI cable and when I ran it from the HDMI port to the Samsung all I got was a black screen.

My question is can I purchase a graphics card with both VGA and DVI ports that will allow me to operate the 2 monitors independently.

I searched the web and found Acer X3470 users that have installed either an AMD Radeon HD 6450 or HD 6570 graphics card. I don't know much about graphics cards but it looks like the the HD 6570 has a built-in cooling fan.

Will both work to drive the 2 monitors independently? Is one better than the other? Is the an alternative card that I should install?

Thank you for your help.