How come the ACER Aspire XC-705 does not have indicator LED's?

Kokopelli
Kokopelli Member Posts: 3 New User

Well, it's all in the subject; how come the ACER Aspire XC-705 desktop PC does not have indicator LED's? Like for HD and DVD drive.

This is the very first DT computer I have owned since 1993 that doesn't. I'd bet the laptops/notebooks do. Either the rest of the PC industry is wrong in putting them on their desktop machines, or...well, I'm with them anyway.

Sure, it's a novel concept but so would a car w/o speedometer or a camera w/o viewfinder. As it is, I have to rely on my hearing to know if there is activity on the HD or not, ditto the DVD drive.

See what I mean, jelly bean?

Dell.JPG                    LED Status Indicators.JPG

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes, your PC doesn't have a HDD/DVD LED but probably the motherboard supports it.

if you open the case, you will notice a connector near the chipset heatsync, it has 4 wires but the connectors has some empty holes, i think this can be connected to some LEDs but i can't find any refernce at the moment.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

Yes, your PC doesn't have a HDD/DVD LED but probably the motherboard supports it.

if you open the case, you will notice a connector near the chipset heatsync, it has 4 wires but the connectors has some empty holes, i think this can be connected to some LEDs but i can't find any refernce at the moment.

• Kokopelli

Thank you IronFly.

"Yes, your PC doesn't have a HDD/DVD LED but probably the motherboard supports it.

if you open the case, you will notice a connector near the chipset heatsync, it has 4 wires but the connectors has some empty holes, i think this can be connected to some LEDs but i can't find any refernce at the moment."

Oh, this PC is a do-it yourself dealie then? Kinda like a Radio Shack kit? And I am to drill holes in the pristine front and thus void the guarantee? On a $943 (at Amazon) PC? Is it kidding me you are00 Yoda.jpg??! 'Guess not because:

Acer do-it-yourself kit PC utsnitt.jpg (Pic from Amazon)

This absolutely takes the cake. I bought mine sight-unseen 'cause I never would have thought in a million years...

But thank you and best wishes IronFly,

Göran

PS:You unemployed you say? Well, here's another one. I was 50 when the job market forcibly retired me after 37 years as an elecronics engineer with e.g. Ericsson and Astra Zeneca. The job market ageism here in Sweden is unbelievable. Ppl over 35 need not apply, if you can believe it. Tough Taco.

[word filter avoidance]

• IronFly
    Nope, i didn't say is a DIY PC and i absolutly agree on what you wrote.
    It was just my 2 cents, since it's a really stupid/silly move from Acer, a LED and 2 wires...how much it will be as cost?

About jobs situation, Italy is the same, being over 40 makes you out of interest.
  • Kokopelli

"Nope, i didn't say is a DIY PC..." No, friend, you didn't say that - I did. I still can't get over it... that's probably one reason we are both unemployed, because, as you point out:

"...it's a really stupid/silly move from Acer, a LED and 2 wires...how much it will be as cost?"

but that's how the guys at the top can give themselves million dollar bonuses at Christmas for a job well done: they fire 2 out of 5 menial, lowly workers that really buckle down and get their hands dirty, and the remaining ones have to work that much longer hours or have two jobs, and they save a dollar or two on every unit sold.

That's how you make money IronFly.

Smiley Mad