Hi, is there anyway I can get around wiping clean the 2TB hard drive(Malware attached) ATC-605-ES31

herrinchoker
herrinchoker Member Posts: 4 New User

I have tried going into the command prompt and used chkdsk c:/r/x

Not sure if this correct, took a long time to do 6 stages with no luck...

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

you can create an USB media installation or DVD, you have the choice when using the Microsoft download tool.

about windows 10, i'm not sure if you are still able to upgrade for free if you didn't already.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

Are you trying to check your HDD or wiping?

to wipe it, you need to use diskpart

command prompt

diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean all

it will take an hour, i think.

• herrinchoker

Thanks for replying , i am not able to restart so my options are to reset among other things. I have basically tried them all except wiping everything as I would like very much to keep the family pics and such.I thought there might be another way going the command prompt. I can try what you have given me for information. Thank you IronFly... 

• IronFly
    If you have malaware, it's better to use some anti virus or software scan.
    Don't use my previous suggestion, since it will completly delete/wipe your HDD.
  • herrinchoker

Sorry to hog your time, I am going to download windows 8.1 with my product key(I think I can transfer that to USB for a clean install), from what I have read I will still be able to update to windows 10. Otherwise I will transfer it to DVD, I believe in ISO format?

Thanks IronFly

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

you can create an USB media installation or DVD, you have the choice when using the Microsoft download tool.

about windows 10, i'm not sure if you are still able to upgrade for free if you didn't already.