Hi, I just purchased an Aspire AXC-703G-UW51

Options
MoeP
MoeP Member Posts: 50 New User

I would like to add more RAM, it came with 4gb and I want to increase that to 8gb, the problem I have is there appears to be 2 memory slots on the board but when I ran the crucial scan it said there was only 1 slot, I also ran Belarc advisor and it reports 2 DIMM slots, could someone tell me if this machine does have 2 slots or just 1.

Thanks

Moe

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Hello, I don't have the 703 and I am not 100% sure but I do know that when I help set up my Uncle that had a 703G with a Intel j1900 CPU on this board. His only took 1 8Gig of Ram. I had this issue because I bought 8 gig pair for my 603 and when he said that he had the 703 and wanted to upgrade to 8 I sent him my Stock 4 thinking he would be able to just add and have 8 however when he got it and started looking over my instructions with pictures of my system I get a Call stating that his only has 1 memory slot. So I did what I should have before sending the Ram. Looked it up on Kingston website. They are the first I turn to. I wasn't sure but took the numbers down for him and then looked up on Crucial website and there it is slight different with looking up systems. There is an Option for both the 703 and 703G where on Kingston they only show 703.xxx However looking them both up they both say they take only 1 stick of Ram. 

Ok kingston it looks like they are saying it is DDR3L and same specs on Crucial but just don't have L after DDR3. 

In the end. I got my stock 4gig back and he bought a 8 from Kingston. Says it runs great. 

For you, I would say if you are in Doubt, Take off the 2 screws and take the lid off, You will have to anyway to make the upgrade. Take a Picture and post here so others can know for sure. Then you know for sure as well before you buy.

James

• MoeP
    Options

OK, I have taken the pic. but how do I post it here, I don't see an upload button??

• RevoMaxx
    Options

are you posting from a Mobile? I have to admit when I am on my phone I can't seem to find a way to add pictures..... So i have to log on web...... 

From the area under where it says body there should be a bar. In this bar starting with a B is a icon of a landsacpe with a sun or moon how ever you want to call it....  that is the uplaod image icon...

James

• MoeP
    Options

Hope this works, here's the pic.

151107_0007.jpg

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Ok now that is strange..... That looks  just like my 603 insides.....

can you right click your start button and then close to the bottom is run. In there type in msinfo32 then press enter and let me know what your sytem says after System Manufacture, Acer should say System Model on the next line.

Now I will have to contact him and see if he can send me a picture of his. Sadly he is off the Grid right now and has got his Stock this month. Unless he makes it back to town I will ask him to send me a picture....

The odd thing is both Kingston and Crucial report your system of having 1 Ram slot.... 

maybe go to kingston and click the scan my system. Install a little file they will have you download and then they will be able to update the system info for your computer for others that try and upgrade too...

James

Edit for picture Add..... \

1022151601.jpg

• MoeP
    Options

Here ya go

System Manufacturer = Acer

System Model = Aspire XC-703G

System Type = x64-based PC

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Just wondering what Kingston has said about your system if you did the scan yet?

Interesting your system looks like mine, my first thought I was thinking it would be like my 603's and it is,  Strange is that his only has one slot but wonder if his a 703 or 703G or if he was to confused at what he was looking at on the inside. Plus never confirmed his install. Just that he sent my ram back and said he would order a 8 from Kingston....

I would doubt that they would make different MB over the same specs. Not sure his is a UW51 either but time will tell. I need more info from his machine now lol... 

Thank you for the picture and info. He helps others with same type get the answers they need as well..

James

• MoeP
    Options

Couldn't find anything about a scan but I put in the model and this is what I got, apparently this means there is 1 expansion socket can be seen in my pic.

Kingston.JPG

• MoeP
    Options

I also did a Crucial scan and according to them there's only 1 slot.  ??

CrucialScan2.jpg

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Yes sorry. Crucial was the site I meant to scan.... However I see they are slightly confused as in your system you clearly have 2 slots as in my picture I have 2 where both are filled. The one next to the drives is in upside down by design......

Here is my picture of the scan from Crucial and the one from Kingston that is just doing a search.. Also in the picture that you provided before shows how mine was from factory with 1 4Gig of ram installed. The picture that I added first time in this thread shows the system after the Memory upgrade with 2 4Gig sticks installed.

Screenshot (82)1.png

Screenshot (83)1.png

• MoeP
    Options

Well I ordered the 4gb stick from crucial, just hope it's compatible with the RAM that's in there now, but they garanty (spelling) it will work or I get my money back, I have always had good luck with crucial memory.

• MoeP
    Options

What gets me is they use laptop memory modules in this desktop, also I downloaded Speccy and it confirms the 2 memory slots.

speccy.jpg

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Yes, It is rather funny really. I have another board in my XC115 that one would think would come with this type of Ram but comes with normal Desktop ram. I think it has to do with what would fit on the board to Cram in such a small case really. Even though the MB on the 115 is much smaller has more USBs and what not is is crazy how they build these things...

When you get your Ram, Your ram, I am thinking the one you have now is Kingston ram line mine was from new.. But after you install, Turn on and it if it runs well and want to go ahead and keep it, I would then restart your computer and go into your Bios. If yours is like my 603's, The second optioins menu is Advanced, Second one down in that menu if you go into there you can change your Video Ram from 64mb to 128mb. I will tell you one thing for sure. I did notice a Huge difference on a couple of Games that I play. Went from say a normal color to Glassy with reflections and even buttons that once was only a color stands out like it is Lit up. 

Sorry if I can't explain it better. At times the words that others would use escapes me... Let us know how the upgrade goes. 

James

• MoeP
    Options

Hi, I believe it is kingston, the only marking on it is KN4GB0G0295180015E3000, can you tell from that if the crucial DDR3 PC3-12800 CL=11 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR3-1600 1.35V is the same.

Got an Email from them saying it was shipped today so may have it by the end of the week hopefully.

You will have to guide me through on that bios setting, never been in there on this machine.

Moe

• RevoMaxx
    Options

About being compatible I can't say. Sadly when I bought my RAM I choose to buy 2 new Kingston Sticks. I still have the one that says Kingston on it still with a another strip of paper with a number that I assume is put on there by Acer. There is a # that starts with KN that is also on the Kingston Label don't match the added number so that is why I think it comes from them. The number starts like the Kingston # so does yours so I am sure your right and it is one of theirs. I do know that there are people that can get lucky and run 2 different types of Ram, However since my very first OEM computer back in the day years ago I always had nothing but issues trying to run 2 different Manufactures ram so now I always stay on 2 of same. 

In short, I did have a issue not all that long ago, IT was from the same company with same info but came from 2 different machines and 2 different countries. Even then with same timings and what not no matter how I put them in they just didn't want to work. THey would work one by one but not together. New/Used pulled from new machines that never sold so the companies sold the parts as NEW/Used seeing they were installed but never turned on so they said... After I bought new RAM from Kingston the new pair ran fine so it wasnt a board issue.. (Guess that wasn't to short LOL)

About how to get into bios, When you start your computer, once you see the first Screen apear Acer Splash, Before it starts to load windows press the Delete button and it should take you into your bios. IF fast boot is set it can be rather fast to pass that screen so once screen comes on I press the Delete button a couple of times. Once I get in there I also set up boot option and bios option so I don't have to work so hard to get into it.

With the 603's I would assume with your 703 as well your  new RAM will be installed upside down from how the other ram is installed. That is why on the picture of my machine the slot next to the Drives your looking at the back of the Ram stick. You will see if it is the same in your case, That if you try to put logo up, it will not line up to the PIN. Flip it over and your new ram should go in no problem. 

James

• MoeP
    Options

Thanks for the repply, will see what happens when it gets here and it is set for fast boot.

Edit to add pic.

Forgot I had the user manual PDF and just checked and this is what it says about entering bios.

Bios.jpg

Moe

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Sadly that looks like the same manual I have... Yes mine also says press F2 however nothing happens when you press F2.. I tried to take a picture of the screen that says to press esc but I can't do it without shaking lOL... So all you can see is a BLUR. sure you can almost make out that it says DEL but I would like to post a NICE CLEAN picture or why bother LOL......

I do have a Service Manual for my Acer Aspire XC600 and in there it says about pressing the DEL, So I did provide that. again it is for my 603's and 600's I didn't go look over the others right this mintue seeing they are in a different part of my HomeOffice.... I do have one of my Acer Aspires One 255E and that one you would press F2 and it does get the Bios.

Also I thought I would show you a picture of the area about the Memory for the Graphics.... it will be in the second photo of this post and is the same in my 603 and 600 in front of me, Not in the AO255E menu. Just in the 600 there is another option that it offers that the 603 don't but the going from 64mb Vram to 128mb is there. Plus again there is another option in the 600 in there as well that isn't in the 603 for max. Hope these help some, PS.. If you go from the Post (Splash Acer Logo) to the spinning you have past the point to get in no matter the option it is to get to Bios.... 

James

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (2).png

• MoeP
    Options

Will see what happens after I get the RAM in here and make sure it is working ok.

BTW, I checked for the heck of it and it is the delete ket to get into bios, and I found that setting under advanced chipset settings, just want to be ready, also, what key do I press to change it, there's a lot of them on the right side at the bottom. Thanks

Moe

• MoeP
    Options

I got the RAM from crucial today and when I put it the second slot the machine would not boot, no beeps, and the monitor showed no signal so I shut it off with the power button and took the stick out and just for the heck of it I took out the original stick and put the crucial in the first spot and it booted up fine so I figured why not try it with the original stick in the second slot and would you believe it booted right up and is showing 8GB RAM running at 666.7 MHz. 

Now I gotta see if I can change that video setting from 64 to 128.

• RevoMaxx
    Options

good to hear it came fast... Also glad that you got your computer to see both Sticks... I would be tempted to say that you may have some issues in the coming months with your RAM. I could be wrong. However I would say that if you are ever in doubt make sure to put it back to Factory before thinking that your computer is bad...... 

Like make a NOTE and post in your case on the access door your upgardes. ON that note state what you had problems with and what you did to solve your problems..... Then say down the road 3 years you give it to your, Sister, Brother, son or what not. When maybe they have an issue that could happen.. When they take the access door off it will have the information about the system and know what was done.

IE, 2 years you give your computer to your sister, You don't tink about the upgrade or what was done because you have forgotten seeing you have had so many others since. Then say she goes and installs a NEW Windows program that you didn't run or use and it don't like the Memory for what ever reason. Maybe even gives an error of such. So your Brother-in-Law opens it, Without the note, May take out the OEM ram thinking that the NOW new ram was stock and in the stock location. However with the note on the access door they can clearly see that the new ram is the Crucial and is in the Main slot........

This is only an Idea.. It makes it easier for trouble shooting in the future. *A Place in time I always try and think about....." Also I can't remember everything so better for me  to write it down Smiley Happy

I would say as a way to test. If you have a All in One Printer, Scan in a Picture that you have. Maybe a 8x10 at the BEst your Scanner can Scan. Then in a Edit program try and edit your Picture. IF it crashes your computer or takes a really long time to load your picture. I would then try and remove the new put the old back where it was and try and load it with only the OEM. IF it loads and is faster. It is safe to assume that the Ram don't like each other... Not that the new one is bad but you have 2 like people that just don't want to work together. It can happen....

James