Help update BIOS Aspire XC-603

Options
fattoro93
fattoro93 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

Hi, my name is Jacopo, I apologize for my English, but I do help by the translator, i'm Italian. I have a PC Desktop Aspire XC-603 and I would like to update the BIOS. I downloaded from your site files to update the BIOS but the guide refers to a "launch CSM" that does not exist in the current version in my BIOS. I can not boot from USB to upgrade. I hope I know how to help. Thank You

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ciao Jacopo,

i will translate to italian the easy steps to flash BIOS on your system and send it to you by Private Message.

1. Please enter “WIN” folder and select “Flash.bat”.
    2. Please double click ”Flash.bat”.
    3. The system will prompt a command window and select “Yes” to continue
    process.
    4. Please wait BIOS update process. Please restart your system after updating
    BIOS completely.
    5. When you see the LOGO or hear one short beep, please press “Delete” to
    enter BIOS Setup Menu.

6. Change page to “Exit”.
    7. Select “Load Default Setting” and press “Enter”. Select “Yes” to load d
    settings.
    8. Select “Save & Exit Setup” and press “Enter”.
    9. Select “Yes” to restart.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ciao Jacopo,

i will translate to italian the easy steps to flash BIOS on your system and send it to you by Private Message.

1. Please enter “WIN” folder and select “Flash.bat”.
    2. Please double click ”Flash.bat”.
    3. The system will prompt a command window and select “Yes” to continue
    process.
    4. Please wait BIOS update process. Please restart your system after updating
    BIOS completely.
    5. When you see the LOGO or hear one short beep, please press “Delete” to
    enter BIOS Setup Menu.

6. Change page to “Exit”.
    7. Select “Load Default Setting” and press “Enter”. Select “Yes” to load d
    settings.
    8. Select “Save & Exit Setup” and press “Enter”.
    9. Select “Yes” to restart.

• fattoro93
    fattoro93 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    hi, thank you for the answer! Worked a treat !! I wanted to update the bios because the PC does not recognize me the USB 3.0 port. Let me explain. While the PC is turned on and connect to any USB 3.0 port is not recognized. Instead connecting to pc off everything works perfectly, now I'll try with this new BIOS. Thank You
  • IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• fullclip
    fullclip Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi IronFly,

Question regarding your BIOS upgrade instructions for the Aspire XC-603.

You mention navigating to the WIN folder and run the .bat file to update.

The newest BIOS version that is available on Acer's website does not contain a WIN folder. It contains a DOS folder.

Is running the install .bat from DOS while in the Windows 8.1 environment still OK? If not, where is the BIOS download located that includes the WIN folder? Its not under the BIOS downloads section for this model.

The reason I need to upgrade the BIOS from Windows 8 is because, like a lot of people I've read on forums, cannot upgrade it using the boot from USB option which I believe is due to the Launch CSM option missing from the BIOS despite what the instructions provided say.

Thanks you for your help!

• IronFly
    Options

the latest is this:

Support "Launch CSM" item in BIOS setup menu.

P11.B2

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P11.B2_A_A.zip?acerid=635465135947001421&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20XC-603&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6#_ga=1.149886646.1650522051.1412414371

and has the WIN folder

the other marked L are for BIOS flashing under Linux enviroment.

• fullclip
    fullclip Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Ahh I did not realize that. Thank you!

• dased
    dased Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

hello IronFly

I just got acer aspire XC-603. A problem hapend I could noy boot windows 8 pre-instal. I have tried to flash my bios but I'm using ubuntu and I find it complex to load on a usb and flash. I tried with freedos and other. but I still cant boot usb to flash the bios. I want to install windows 7 because I have it on a cd.

Can you please help me

I'm no nooby but I get dased and confused

• IronFly
    Options

you must report the installed BIOS version on your 603.

if you 603 had windows 8 from factory, have you tried to boot pressing ALT+F10 to start Acer erecovery, by the way if you installed Ubuntu over windows 8, i suspect you have deleted the recovery partition too.

• dased
    Options

Hello again IronFly

Yes I have deleted the recovery file. i should have study the bios befor install witch I didn't. My first boot of this new pc had frosen on opning windows 8.First thing I did wase to try recovery ALT/F10. Then i shut down and restart many times giving it time to load some thing. But it still froze at the same opening window Idetifying wondows 8.

I should have broght it back to vender but i thought I could install unbuntu and fix it later. Or dual boot. Witch I cant do for now.Cat Embarassed

I am still trying to find a fix for this bios: XC-603  : P11-B1

By th way mighty fast response ^^Kudos^^ for that

• IronFly
    Options

To flash from DOS i suggest you to use MS-DOS only; remember to disable secure boot from BIOS.

About windows 8 freezing from factory, i think it will be more ram side issue than BIOS side; the new BIOS will add support to run non UEFI OS.

• dased
    Options

Hi IronFly

I thank you for all your help.

I have spent long time to copie and write to  make a dos/bootable usb device that my bios can read.

I think since my wondows 8 oem key has bin lost it is impossible to boot this acer bios with operating system and to update bios. I alsow think maybe there is a ram problem but a bios problem to.

The store where I got this acer pc say I have to repare it befor I return it. Between you and me if i could repare it I would not return it

i should not have bin able to install an aother operating system on this pc with all the uefi ans secure boot on the bios. I can not explane how comme the bios allowed me to install ubuntu.

thank you again and please pardon my english. I am french.

• IronFly
    Options

your windows 8 key is in "BIOS", so you didn't lost it.

last Ubuntu releases are UEFI compatible, your only mistake was to don't send back the PC when it was freezing under windows 8.

the "quickest" solution, probably is to buy the Acer erecovery media, try to install it, until it freezes and then give it back to your shop.

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• dased
    Options

Hello IronFly

You have bin verry helpful. One thing I havn't thought of is to duo boot ubuntu/windows. Since ubuntu put the key in the bios I can partition my hard drive/boot with grub/select windows/update bios safly. Grub utility is powerful tool so I am shure not to break any thing.

It may not work but I will be trying later this week and let you no what hapend.

Wish you luck and i will be back laterCat Happy

• IronFly
    Options

• dased
    Options

Hey there IronFly

What an edventure that wase!  I thought I might share with you how I fix my bios upgrade problem.

With your help and my stupid idea I wase able to update my bios and my pc is runnig perfectly. I friend of mine say HEY check out this new windows 10 free for trial. And I thought why not it boots compleetly on usb drive, just like the old madriva usb portable pc.

So here is what I did: install windows 10/booted usb drive/create accound/flash my bios/re-install my ubuntu/and dual boot with my copie of windows 7 to keep using dos apps (just in case) And VOILA!!Cat Happy

Often the simplist solution is the best ! ( serve to teach us ! ) Cat Very Happy

I realy hope this will help others. And I hope this is not the end of our chat. Resolving problems is the best job ever.

Take care cya later Cat Very Happy

IronFly wrote:

I dont no where to click to add you a KUDOS but your help wase verry appreciated

• IronFly
    Options

• nairb11236
    nairb11236 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Dear Ironfly

I am having a hell of a hard time upgrading my bios on xc-603 running Win 10.Trying to update to b4 and double clicking on Flash.bat but nothing happens.Dos window opens for a milisecond and then closes.No flash,no nothing.I was wondering if you had any ideas.

File name: 

BIOSAcerUpdate Intel Microcode M0C30678831.P11.B43.3 MB2015/11/04
  • IronFly
    Options

your actual BIOS version?

• nairb11236
    nairb11236 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

original bios p11-b2

Believe it or not I finally figured it out.Went on AMI site and downloaded a bios utility tool as flash.bat was not working.Ran the utility inserting the rom file from the Acer update and joila! The first time I ran the utility it returned an error but it worked tonight.I am now the father of a p11-b4 bios update,healthy and hungry! Thank you very much for your quick reply.Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler

I have been having issues with the store app on windows 10 stopping after several hours.The tech at Microsoft suggested that the bios be updated to accommodate the upgrade from 8.1 from July.He said that may be the cause of the problem or it could be a corrupted user profile or corrupted store app program.....You think they know?

Thank you Ironfly

• IronFly
    Options

you welcome.