Hello,My name is joanne and I am new to the discussion forum. Please Help!

Options
jojo291966
jojo291966 Member Posts: 7 New User

I have an Acer Aspire M5-581-6807. The computer truns on (both battery and corded); however, it is very fast and goes from the Acer logo screen to the following message "No bootable devise, hit any key" and an "ok" is highlighted. The problem is that none of the keys respond even though the backlit keyboard is on. The computer is stuck on the "no bootable devise screen, hit any key". I have tried inserting my recovery discs, etc. but nothing seems to work. I woudl appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you, Joanne

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options
    I would say as a starting point, try and start your computer in bios. Then see if you can move around in there with the keyboard. Right and left arrow. If yes press ecs choose yes (exit without saving)

Is this a new computer to you or have you owned it a while and this issue just started?

James
  • RevoMaxx
    Options
    Sorry on my phone don't see a way to edit my post.. to get to bios press and hold the F2 on your laptop while you turn on your laptop.

James
  • jojo291966
    Options

Hi James,

Thanks for responding. It's not a new computer - I got it about 1.5 years ago. When I turn it on it goes from the Acer logo sscreen very quickly to the "no bootable deivce message" very quickly. Pressing F2 or any other function key combo doesnt seem to do anything. 

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Ok thank you. From the sounds of it I wonder if maybe it was dropped? In any case sounds like you may need to take it apart. In doing so you would need to remove the power and battery then a screw to the dvd/CD drive and remove that. Then there is about 15 or 16 other screws to remove. Then with an old credit card you need to UN clip the seem once the top can move from the bottom you need to unclip the keyboard .... check the connections to the drive and keyboard make sure they are seated right. Put back together and try again.

James

EDIT: Sorry had to log on my computer to edit this, There should be 3 items that would need to be unplugged when you get the top and bottom apart, Your Track pad, Keyboard, and your Keyboard Lighting. then you can look at the other things under the hood of your Laptop, Also you will need to remove 2 maybe 4 screws from your hard drive caddy reseat the cable and; Check connections are good when you put them back together.

End Edit:

• jojo291966
    Options

Hi Again James,

Thanks for the feedback! I did everything you suggested. I also got a new keyboard/palmrest and installed. Also a new HDD. Also, attached and external key board. All connections appear to be seated properly too. I have no idea at this point. Hate to take it in to someone, mostly becasue I am stubborn and I can usually figure thses things out but perhaps it is not meant to be this time. Any other feedbaack or suggestions are appreciated. Take care, Joanne

• joeoil
    joeoil Member Posts: 51 New User
    Options

Hi

I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but here's a link to another thread on this forum with a similar problem.

Maybe you can get some help of this:

http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/quot-No-bootable-device-Hit-any-key-quot-Error-on-my-laptop-upon/td-p/208621

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Hello again Joanne, Sorry I over looked your post odd enough I didn't see a message that anyone posted still checked so Anyway looking at the issue after installing the HDD, and Keyboard still same issue, Have you tried to Press and hold the F2 and press the power button as the same time?

Also lets try this as well. I am not sure if this will work but one take out the power cord, and Battery, Press and hold the power button for 10 or 20 seconds. I can't for the life of me remember where or if it has a CMOS battery so trying to clear it here? 

It has been about a year since I have seen the inner working of this laptop.. I know that one of the systems also has a SSD cashe also a HDD. I wonder if you just removed the 4 screws and then then Drive or if you also removed the MB and on the other side looked at the connecter to the Motherboard from the HDD. At the point of removing the HDD if Memory servers me right you take out the 3 screws holding it an the CPU fan screw. There are some ribbion cables or 1 also and the battery wires from the battery. Once you get to that point if you don't have a sd card or sd blank in the slot it should lift up from front to back as there is a couple more wires under there for the WIFI Also that is where you ram is. Loads of work to get to ram. Anyway the connection to the HD is on the bottom of the borad

I would say try and do a power on with the F2 pressed and see if that will get you into bios. We need to set the bios back to factory so if you get in there go to last page and say load factory bios then F10 yes to save and try and reboot... Wish It was sitting in front of me would be easier lol.. 

James