HI, new to Forum would appreciate some advice,on fitting/adding the extra hard disc drive

Options
caskin
caskin Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi to one and all.Although owning an Aspire for some 5yrs plus this is my first time on the Forum.

I wish to take advantage of my models ability to accept a removeable hard drive.I know how to do it,but have no idea what "model" or size of hard drive I require?I intend to fit it in order to back up all files from my present Aspire just in case after 5/6yrs of excellent performance, it takes it into its head to call it a day!!!Any and all advice would be appreciated thank you.

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options

Hello and welcome to the Community, It is good to hear that you are and have been Happy with your Acer Computer.

There is loads of people that would love to give you the help and info or advice that you seek. We just need some info about your system...   Something like this Acer Aspire AME600-UR368.  Oh wait that is a computer that I wish I owned lol. Anyway With more info we can or someone can give you some info about the Type of HDD you need. maybe it is a PATA drive or SATA drive or a SAS. Without knowing it could be hard for info.

James 

• caskin
    Options

Hello to you James and many thanks for the warm welcome plus taking on my question.I would like to add that over the years I have owned many PC.s but this Acer of mine is by far the best.

The numbers quoted on original invoice and paperwork are as follow...Acer Aspire M3910-2  15650   0000975946...if you require any more info please let me know and once again thanks.

• caskin
    Options

RevoMaxx wrote:

Hello and welcome to the Community, It is good to hear that you are and have been Happy with your Acer Computer.

There is loads of people that would love to give you the help and info or advice that you seek. We just need some info about your system...   Something like this Acer Aspire AME600-UR368.  Oh wait that is a computer that I wish I owned lol. Anyway With more info we can or someone can give you some info about the Type of HDD you need. maybe it is a PATA drive or SATA drive or a SAS. Without knowing it could be hard for info.

James 

Hello to you James and many thanks for the warm welcome plus taking on my question.I would like to add that over the years I have owned many PC.s but this Acer of mine is by far the best.

The numbers quoted on original invoice and paperwork are as follow...Acer Aspire M3910-2  15650   0000975946...if you require any more info please let me know and once again thanks.

have I posted reply correctly?

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Looks like a nice computer and looking up your system it seems that the Stats says you can add an extra 2 more hard drives. But looking at the Picture of the MB it shows 6 Sata headers. 

Then it says that your system could have come with a wide range of HDDs. They are 3.5 Sata2 Drives. The range is 500, 640, 1Tb, 1.5Tb and 2Tb Then there is 3 drives that are also listed at 5400rpm and they were 1, 1.5 and 2Tb drives.

I will post the Part numbers for 3 of the 7200RPM drives

First One, (KH.50007.012) 500GB

Second, (KH.01K07.003)  1Tb

last, (KH.15K01.002) 1,5Tb

It does look like your system comes with a 500 Watt PSU so if I was you, I would take off the side of the computer and look to see how many open Sata Power cables you have. Some PSU only come with 2 If you have some of the other 4pin connectors for the older style Pata drives they do sale plug in cable changers... Some like some don't like using them... It is up to you if you need to or want to replace your PSU because what is offered. I can't tell any more then there was 3 different Models that it could have came with all were 500watts...

EDIT: Little more info about your system.

Serial ATA controller

Slot Type: SATA connector

Six SATA ports:

4 for HDD

2 for ODD Like CD and DVD

Storage Type support: 1.HDD : Support RAID 0/1/5/10

2.CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM/DVD-RW/DVD+RW/DVD Dual/DVD SuperMultiPlus/Blu-Ray ODD 3.AHCI mode supported for internal SATA port 

Hope this helps some.

James

• caskin
    Options

Hi James,,,First with some humour,mayI just say your reply left me brain dead(not your fault I hasten to add)just no comprehension on my part!

But I think we are drifiting too far into the system.The hard drive I am referring to is the one that can fitted into the built in situ carrier part number AZ.12800.116.What I do not know is the type or size that I can fit into that removeable carrier?

Hope that makes life easier...Thanks again for keeping up  Cheers

• RevoMaxx
    Options

It is ok. The one that is on the Fornt of your system is also a Sata that is 3.5 in size and can add any that is listed in my other post. Them are the ones that are tested and true. I am sure others with in the 500gb to 2TB range will work fine....

Just like to make sure I give all info that I can to try and help with the issue in hand. Sorry if I gave to much info. Not all systems can have Multi HDD in them For me more info is better then not enough Smiley Happy   ..

Just me trying to be Helpful...

James

• caskin
    Options

Hi  James ,Please dont take offense as you have been more than helpful.Its just me not understanding all the terms or makers names etc that you mentioned.(Attempt at English humour in last message!)

And I agree,too much info is far better than too little!

Your info has made the whole operation so much more simple, even down to part numbers,so I owe you a BIG thankyou.

As I undertsand it now, if i fit a Sata  KH 50007.012 or KH 01K07.003 to in place fitted carrier, it will be then just be a case of sliding case and new HD into slot , progressing to Computer  HD management and allowing wizard to set HD up  for system to recognise?Smiley Very Happy

• RevoMaxx
    Options

As long as there hadn't been any one inside your system. Then yes that is how it should work. As from the inside it should be conenected to your MB and PSU and ready for use. However I could be wrong as I don't have that model. There maybe info in the User guilde that came with your sytem that is different form the one I can find... IT could be that it is there but would need to make connections for it to work. But I would think it is there for USE and ready to go. 

If you take the side off. You should be able to see a cable going to your Area for the HDD.... should have Power and Data one to the PSU (Power Supply) and one to the MB (Motherboard)

Hope this helps

James