Gefore 750ti won't boot (1 long beep, 2 short)

oreomon
oreomon Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi,

I have an Aspire M3420. Computer won't boot up with the Gefore 750ti in it and I receieve 1 long beep and 2 short. 

Motherboard is AAHD3-VC and PSU is 300 watts.

Ive been searching for a while and this appears to be a problem for people even after installing a higher wattage PSU.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

1.  What operating system came pre-installed on your computer?  If windows 8/8.1 came pre-installed, then you can try going in to bios settings and disabling Secure Boot.

2.  What BIOS version do you have?  Is it the latest for your computer?  If you don't know which BIOS version is for you computer, please post and someone should know.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

3.  Which Nvidia 750ti do you have?  EVGA?  MSI? etc..can you give more details on the card you have?  The exact model number? Some 750ti use only power from the PCI-E x16 slot.  Some 750ti require additional power.  Not enough info to try to determine if it's a power supply issue.

4.  Did you try to reseat the card and then keep computer's power cable unplugged from the electrical outlet for 1 minute?

5.  Don't get me wrong, this is a good forum to come to, but I would definitely call the manufacturer of your card 800 number.  They might be able to tell you in 2 seconds what the problem is.  Anyway, thats what I would do.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • oreomon

1. OS was windwos 7 64bit

2. Bios version P01-A0. Date of 4/17/2012

I've attempted to update via the acer driver page using P12.A2L. However in attempting to update I get an error of "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running"

3. I have an EVGA SC 2BG Gddr5

4 & 5. I'll be attempting this right now.

Thank you!

• oreomon

Also when I attempted to reset the card the computer booted and showed the Acer screen, but went black after that. I am hearing no beeps. 

• JordanB

Ok.  Can you look in your BIOS settings to see if you can disable onboard graphics......look in integrated peripherals.  I'm not sure how to disable on board graphics on your computer model.....or if it's even possible.

Or maybe you have to disable the onboard graphics before your install your card?? I'm just not sure.

Someone else might know.

EVGA 750ti sc only requires 300W....so it should at least boot with your ps.

There aren't any BIOS updates for your computer.  You have the latest.

Please post what you find out......

Edit: Oh and don't forget to install the driver! Smiley Wink  You can use the one on the CD but it is usually best to get the driver directly from EVGA's website.

• oreomon

Sorry for the delay.

I've disabled the onboard graphics card. In BIOS there is no option to disable onboard graphics. 

I'm contacted support and will post the response when they get back to me. 

• JordanB

ok sounds good.

You don't see anything in your BIOS about fastboot do you?

Read this thread and especially the last post by jgemberton (even though he has win8.1, he still has legacy bios like you do)

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2091164/update-gateway-bios-run-gtx-750-video-card-problems.html

Also, I said it probably isn't a power supply issue my previous post, but I can't say for certain that isn't the problem....

Edit: Don't try to do a forced BIOS update though like they were trying in thread because that will probably brick your computer.  So you can skip over that BIOS update stuff they were talking about....but they had some other thoughts in thread.

Edit2:  And actually I don't know for sure that you have legacy BIOS since I don't have your computer.  Sometimes I assume too much. Smiley Wink

• oreomon

EVGA Support Reply was 

"Unfortunately, it sounds like the motherboard BIOS does not support 750 Ti. The 750 Ti is based on new Maxwell architecture and does require a motherboard BIOS that supports UEFI and the Maxwell architecture. You may want to check with Acer directly to see if it does support the 750 Ti or 900 series cards."

Since my product is out of warrnty I'm unable to call an Acer support professional and concluded it was compatible with my own research. 

As for BIOS I do not see an option for fastboot. I have found the manual displaying the BIOS Menus's here

• JordanB

Thanks for the update.  I'm out of ideas. Sorry.  

• oreomon

Thanks for trying! Can you just answer one more question? My video card should be compatible correct? I know 
    PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0.

• JordanB

As far as I know...it is backward compatible. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2438733/pci-backwards-compatible-pci.html

http://forums.evga.com/is-a-pcie-30-backward-compatable-with-a-pcie-20-slot-m2128054.aspx

Edit: However, the poster in the EVGA forum link does say that some boards with PCI-E 2.0 require a BIOS update to run certain PCI-E 3.0 cards

• JordanB

The one thing I didn't understand is how the poster from tom's hardware pretty much implied that he had legacy BIOS but was able to get it to work (with legacy BIOS).  Maybe he was mistaken about having legacy BIOS. IDK. 

Because if EVGA says you need UEFI, then surely they would know about their own card.

The bright side is you should be able to easily sell your EVGA 750ti sc as it is a very popular card if you're past your return period.

If you do happen to get it working, please post.