Fix failed acer tc 605 bios flash

mgrantom
mgrantom Member Posts: 16 New User

I flashed my Acer TC 605 from within Windows 10.  I believe that I used the correct non-Linux version.  Computer goes to re-boot and now does NOT go through POST but just makes 1 long beep and then nothing.  I have seen much discsussion all over regarding same issue with Acer computers, and how to go into bios recovery using a USB stick. Unfortunately, nothing right on point with this unit the Acer Aspire TC 605.  I have tried removing the CMOS battery, and moving the CMOS reset jumper.  I put the rom file onto a usb stick and rename it AMIBOOT.ROM.  So far, it will not load the BIOS file from the stick.  Does anyone know of a specific key stroke that invokes bios recovery?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Best Answer

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

When you originally flashed the BIOS, did you read the README?  Most people that brick their TC-605, TC-705, XC-605 don't read the README and follow the SOP for Acer Desktop.

Or did you try to flash it using AFUWINGUI?  Don't use AFUWinGUI.

rename the ROM to  RCVBOOT.CAP

There are no keystrokes for recovery.  Copy the ROM to a USB drive and rename it.  Power off computer.  Insert USB drive.  Turn on computer......and be patient.....and hope for the best.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mgrantom

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I read the extremely poorly written readme file.  The bios appeared to have been flashed but when it re-booted, it just went to a long beep and no boot.  I have renamed the rom file per your suggestion and re-cleared the CMOS by moving the jumper for about 1 minute.  I have tried putting the usb memory stick into both of the USB connectors on the front of the cpu.  As soon as I turn it on, I still get the long beep, cpu fan runs but no apparent activity reading the usb stick.  I have left it running for about 10 minutes with no luck.  According to what I have seen in the Acer Service manual, it should display a screen that says "Proceed to Flash Update".  I do not get that screen.

• JordanB

When you originally flashed the BIOS, did you use AfuwinGUI?  Or did you flash from an admin command prompt?

• mgrantom

I did this about 2 weeks ago so I can't for sure remember.  I BELIEVE I opened up an administrative command prompt, changed directory to where the .bat file was located and executed it. If I did use the the incorrect method how would this effect the proper BIOS recovery mode?

• JordanB

Make sure the USB flash drive is formatted fat32.

I haven't heard of anyone successfully unbricking their TC-605 after they used AFUWINGUI.  AFUWINGUI is nothing but trouble and for experts only.

I've flashed 4 different TC-605 about 30 times total using the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure from an admin command prompt) and haven't had any problems.  About twenty of the bios flashes were on my test rig.

If I couldn't unbrick it, I would have to weigh the costs of sending it to Acer for repair vs purchasing a new Intel H81 motherboard and buying a new copy of Windows 10.  I have no idea what Acer would charge to fix it.  Can't hurt to call them for an estimate if you are unable to unbrick it.  I'm pretty sure if Acer fixes it, you don't have to buy a new copy of Windows.

A new non-Acer Intel H81 mainboard is around $45.  Windows 10 Home is around $100 or so.  If Acer charges less than $200, I might just let them fix it.

• JordanB

And I would probably use one of the USB 2.0 ports in the rear.

• JordanB

I've never actually used warranty repair on non-warranty repair on a computer.  So I'm not sure how it works if your computer is out of warranty.  I would call them.  If you're handy, maybe they can sell you a new motherboard to install yourself.   I don't have any idea what a new Acer motherboard for TC-605 would cost, but they probably have the part.

Edit: They'll probably need your serial number or SNID

• mgrantom

Thanks for your advice.  The box is definitely out of warranty, since it is 2 years old.  I usually buy extended warranties on my office computers but for some reason I didn't this time.  I have built well over 30 systems, so I'm familiar with replacing mobos.  I really was just trying to get this system to reflash from USB since it seems so straightforward a process and I hate to waste good equipment.  I noticed in the service manual that the system does check for a certain key combo on power up for determining whether to go into BIOS recovery mode, that and a checksum test of the bios itself. I just wonder why this unit refuses to do it. I suppose if I bought another mobo and installed an extra copy of Win 7 on it, I could upgrade it to Win10 before MS pulls the plug on their free upgrade policy.  If I want to buy a bare bones MB, would it be better/cheaper to get it from Acer or one of the other online places? 

• JordanB

I would call Acer and get their price first.  Tell them that your motherboard/BIOS is bricked and ask them if you have to purchase a new OS for the new motherboard.  Or maybe you can ship your PC to Acer???  I'm just not sure what the options are (the cheapest options). I'm sure if you call them they can give you options.  Maybe the UEFI chip is replaceable...I just don't know.  I've never had to cross that bridge.

The simplest thing would be to use the same Acer OEM motherboard.  

If you try to get a MSI or Gigabyte H81 motherboard, you might have to do some research to make sure it has everything you need.  
    For example, I wouldn't want to lose the front USB 3.0.

For example, MSI has a whole bunch of different H81 chipset mainboards.  It would take some reading to figure out which one would be best.  I'm going to be lazy and not figure it out.  Smiley Wink  But they are pretty cheap.

The link below is just an example....I have no idea if it will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130731

Edit: That MB doesn't have front USB 3.0 headers so I picked a bad example.

• mgrantom

Thanks again.  I definitely don't want to down grade the USB 3.0  I have checked all over the Internet for part # DB.SRPCN.001 which is the Acer mobo.  The prices are all over the place. Most of them are used, which makes me wonder if I might be buying somebody else's bricked mobo.   I tried getting a price from Acer and I don't see how to even ask them.  My only option on this site is to initiate a repair which is NOT what I want to do.

• mgrantom

If I end up getting one, I think I'll go with this one.  Acer referred me to another co. for a price of $195 new plus $15.00 shipping. 

• JordanB
    Answer ✓

I would probably give this one or this one a shot.  Not sure if it would work.  I couldn't pay $210 just based on principle.

A new one could be found here cheaper.

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/acer-original-motherboard-ac82912-68868.html

• mgrantom

Hey, I REALLY appreciate the info!  I thought I had seen all of the deals out there but I missed this one.  I would go the cut rate price route, but I'm afraid that the wiring for all of the front panel switches might be slightly different and I really want it to be the exact same for all of the hookups.  I don't want to spend a whole day trouble shooting issues.  I'm just still sore that I can't reflash the dam BIOS for zero dollars!  You have been really helpful and I'm going to mark this 'answered' even though it really isn't.  Thanks!

• JordanB

You're welcome.

The only instructions that I would use are the instructions in the README. 

I'm using P11.B4 for Windows 10 (although my TC-605 came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 and a P11.xx UEFI).  

Apparently, P21.xx is for computers that came pre-installed with Windows 7 from the factory.

And apparently the "L" versions are for computers that came pre-installed with Linux from the factory.

readme.PNG

• dlovep
    dlovep Member Posts: 4 New User

I figure out my BIOS recovery by checking the motherboard model and then go thru the original manufacture's guide book. My AT110 server motherboard was from Gigabyte, and go thru other discussion forum to search a correct recovery procedures.

Check your motherboard brand, normally it's the biggest font printed on the motherboard.

See if you have a recovery pin on your motherboard or a dual bios board.

Which results in different recovery method, dont give up easily.

• mgrantom

I appreciate your response, but it has confused me.  This entire thread is about an ACER motherboard, part #  DB.SRPCN.001 Are you saying some OTHER manufacturer may have made the board?  I appreciate your advice to not give up easily.  Also, do you know where to get the service manual for this board?

• dlovep
    dlovep Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi there, by the look of the part number, on the motherboard you should see a "MS-7869" v1.0 or 1.1

Mostly the MS is from MSI manufacture's product coding, and by the look of it the board itself is using an AMI Bios, thereofore you might be able to perform some form of recovery.

Have a look at here for beep code:http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Also when you boot up you heard a short beep or long beep (also give it like 5 minutes to check if another beep) you can see the list for more detail.

Try unplug all the RAM and boot up see if the beep code match.

Then only place 1 ram module in SIMM 0 slot to test and compare the beep code.

Finally if both fail, you might want to do a bios recovery. Download the BIOS from the acer website and pick one version newer than the last one you try to flash.

The way to recovery:

download the BIOS zip file

extract the bios file and copy 3 times e.g. (P11-B4.4M)

rename it to AMIBOOT.ROM, FLASHABL.ROM & SUPER.ROM

copy those 3 files to a clean format usb stick FAT/FAT32 should do
    plug in USB into any usb 2.0 port (try plug direct into the USB port at the back)

power on and wait if anything show on screen, as it is a 4MB file, might take a while like 3~5 minutes.

If you can see the recovery screen, you're in luck.

Otherwise see here for more method to try: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=174985.0

Btw, your motherboard is using a socket 1150, the one on the market is roughly A$80 for brand new.

and the size is Micro-ATX, which should be very common to find alternative.

Specs from here: http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=3267&motherboard=Acer%20TC-605